Subwoofer Possibilities?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark Shannon, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Well, my subwoofer died out on me recently. Its a Merak (division of Axiom) MS8. I don't really know what's wrong. The support guy thinks it's the amplifier that needs repair, and wants me to take it out and mail it to them for possible repair or replace. Wonder how much that'll cost.

Anyways, I've been looking on Ebay for some possible subwoofer purchases. I most likely wont end up getting one, but I'd just like to know what you guys think of these two.

JBL PSW-D112 (12", 250W)

OR

JBL PB12 (12", 250W)

Thanks alot.

2. John S

John S Producer

I don't know about more current models, but I had 10" and a 12" JBL subs go out on me over the years in way to short of a time from purchase, this last time I step'd up to a 15" Velodyne and it has thump'd for more than two years now without issues. The amps cooked on both JBL subs, in JBL's deffense I admittedly run my subs way hard and I was grossly under configured for my room size with them.

3. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with John. My JBL PSW-1200 has been good to me for over 2 years, but recently has started to act up on me. by that I mean that sometimes I have to tap the back of the amp to get it to make any sound. You may even want to try out one from the Definitive Technology line. they make a very nice sub. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Mark Shannon

I sent another email to the Merak guy, and he said that my sub is out of warranty, and it will be $100 to replace the amp (plus shipping charges). I figure for that price, I'd might as well contribute it to the price of a better sub.

Johnny, how much exactly are the subs in the DT line? I don't think we'd be willing to spend more than $500 CDN on a sub, and even that's pushing it. Does anyone know of any places in the Toronto area where I can get a good quality but inexpensive sub?

Thanks

5. Mark Shannon

Ok, I changed my mind.

I found a local retailer (http://www.2001audiovideo.com), that has a nice Reference Audio 10" 150W Powered Subwoofer for $299.99.

From all the searching I've done, I can't find a website for Reference Audio, except for ones that lead me to believe that this brand is made by Klipsch. Is it? Could somone lead me to the proper website?

Also, is this a good Subwoofer to look into?

6. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

The Reference series is a line of Klipsch speakers. Not a bad sub. A great choice @ $375 US is the JBL S120PII. It can be found online at several auth sellers...

7. Mark Shannon

Well it's quite weird, because I found the Reference line of speakers on the Klipsch web site, but it's not the one I saw on the 2001 Audio Video website...

To find it on the 2001 website, under Audio Product>>Speakers>>Reference.

Could someone confirm or deny this?

8. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

You might want to try the offerings here
    aperionaudio.com/products/pr_ss_s12.html

aperionaudio.com/products/pr_ss_s10.html

aperionaudio.com/products/pr_ss_s8.html

They are three Subs about the price range you are speaking of and I've seen nothing but good reviews.

9. Mark Shannon

Thanks alot Mitch. Those are some very nice speakers.

I know I'm really asking for a alot here, but those still aren't in my price range. The lowest one is $400 US. That would be at least a good $600 CDN.

The most I would probably have to spend is $400.

I know, I'm really pushing it, but that's what I got to work with.

10. Johnny Ayala

Mark.....I just heard a really nice Def. Tech, sub that was going for 404.00 and it sounded awesome. check out the website for more info. I can't remember the model # that I heard..but I do know that it had a 10" driver, and a 150 watt amp. Good Luck. [​IMG][​IMG]

11. Johnny Ayala

One more thing Mark, check out ebay for some really good deals.

12. Rick-S

Rick-S Agent

Reference Audio is not the same as the reference line of speakers that Klipsch makes.

Good Luck in your search!!

13. Mark Shannon

Johnny, thanks for the info. I have been searching Ebay periodically. My father (the one who is going to make the purchase, cause I can't afford it) is a bit apprehensive about buying a subwoofer used, though.