Subwoofer position in room - up high?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kerryn R, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Kerryn R

Kerryn R Auditioning

Hello again

yet another question, with grateful thanks to all those who helped me out last time. I've been living with my new system for a while now and I love it but - there's just one problem. If I trip over the sub one more time........[​IMG]!!

So, my bright idea is to put it on top of this tall cabinet I have in the corner of the room and I wondered if having it up high like that will affect the sound much? I will need to run a short extension cord to power it in that possie, and it will only be an inch or so from the ceiling and in a corner as well. The outlets are on front and underneath on this particular (Wharfedale) sub so it would be firing out into the room, just from near the celing, rather than from near the floor.

I'm guessing it would be best to pop a couple of felt pads under the little legs it sits on as it will be on a hard surface and the legs are kind of pointy hard plastic that look like they are designed to sit on carpet. Maybe even a carpet square so it goes right under and the bottom outlet is firing against a soft, rather than a hard surface?

Anyhow - I would really appreciate any input on this one - thanks in anticipation.

Kerryn

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Try to keep it on a very sturdy thing up there, but the fact that it is elevated doesn't inherently mean anything about the sound. Certainly placement will change the sound, and drastically so with subwoofers, and it's easy to see if you move around your room, but also try ducking, and crawling, it's very different at different elevations, the bass response that is.

There's no way to know without trying it, if it will sound good or not in that particular location. Give it a shot, it certailny won't cost you anything but a few minutes to see what it sounds like there.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Hmmm, do you have wooden floors? I was thinking in terms of the subwoofer output transferring into the floor and adjacent walls to help provide the bass you can feel. You can try the shelf setup and compare it to what you have now. Is there no place to move the sub to to avoid tripping on it?

Moved to speakers

4. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Just to let you know - i have a dayton 10" sub on concrete floors, and even at low volumes, it moves about an inch an hour to the left, so, if your sub ends up on the floor in pieces, dont say i didnt warn you.

5. Kerryn R

Kerryn R Auditioning

The room is soooo small - maybe I should just move house? [​IMG] The ground floors are carpet on a concrete slab, so not much joy there either unfortunately. Yep, moving house looks good.

Thanks for the assist - I'll pop it up there and see how it goes.

K

6. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Maybe secure it with a rope!

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Only an inch from the ceiling – theoretically that should be no different than being on the floor in the corner. As long as you have it that high, go ahead and turn it upside down and you’ll essentially have a mirror-image of the floor placement.

Jimi raises a legitimate concern about it moving from the vibration and falling off on the floor. Be sure and secure it somehow.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. ChrisBee

ChrisBee Stunt Coordinator

What about using one of those small rubber bath safety mats with suckers on one side to grip the cupboard? It might prevent the sub nosediving and would probably be invisible from below. Inverting the sub sounds sensible. Or just unscrew the feet if you can. To avoid the risk of damaging the sub's top surface.

ChrisBee