Subwoofer port too close to sofa?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DanielKellmii, Apr 6, 2004.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

I moved my sub to the corner closest to the seating position. It is a 150 watt 8 inch ported sub. If I point it one way, the port is about an inch away from the sofa, the other way has plenty of clearance. I like the way it sounds close to the sofa when I watch movies played at moderated levels. The couch will shake. Is having the port exit so close to the sofa going to have a bad effect?
    Thanks

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

No, some may consider the sound more muffled.......but you like it so keep it there. No potential damage doing that as long as the air can get out.

3. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Daniel,

Standard speakerbuilding texts state, I believe, that the interior end of a port tube should be at least 3" from an interior speaker wall. This suggests that the exterior of the port tube should have similar clearance. That said, if you like the way it sounds, that's the ultimate test.

Tempest Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

4. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

For movies it is fine. For music I just rotate it 90 degrees and is sounds good. Of course, I have to remember to lower the sub. I crank it a bit for movies. Someday I will grow tired of that and listen to it at the levels that I calibrated it too. But for now, it is fun to watch my friends jump when the sofa shakes.

5. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Daniel,

Have a good time with it! Particularly when you first get a sub, it IS lots of fun to shock friends and family. I've found that, as the months pass, I have gradually turned mine down, but hey, you only live once. It's your sub and you should enjoy it.

Pi Studio 2 Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php