What's new

subwoofer placement (1 Viewer)

Simon Brooke

Stunt Coordinator
hi,
can anybody recommend proper placement for my wharfedale subwoofer
At the moment it is placed in between the tv and the mains
I moved it closer to the back wall and managed to get louder bass than before.
does putting the sub in the corner distort the sound or can it improve the sound.
i plan to get some spikes for it also
thanx in advance
:)

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
I suggest doing a forum search on the subject... There have been tons of posts on it. It'll probably take you a week to read them all :)
RG

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't recommend putting the sub in the back of the room or to the side of the room past either of the speakers. Best location, IMO, is placing the sub somewhere between the 2 front speakers. I know the human ears can't detect bass, but some times, you'll feel the pressure in one ear and not the other and that can cause some headaches. Keep the bass as balanced as possible. I got my KLH Passive Sub under my right speaker. to the left a little bit. It reflects off the wall, so that works very well.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
If you want "better" bass try moving the subwoofer into one of the front or back corners of the room. You should notice a difference.

When trying to place my sub, I put it at the listening position and walked around the room until I found the spot where it sounded the best. Then I moved the sub to the spot where it sounded the best. You might try that also.

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
Typically, I suggest (and it seems many concur) shoving it as near the front corner of the room as you can get it. Less chance of room nulls. You may get some boost in some frequencies but that's when you might consider the BFD (Behringer Feedback Destroyer) Parametric EQ to adjust your response to your liking.

Placing it in the middle or rear can cause some phase problems.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
The only place I had for mine is the right rear corner. Well the room is so small that my couch is against the back wall, so it is adjacent to the listening position. It sounds great for HT, but can get a little boomy for music. It was the best sounding when doing the method I talked about above.

Travis Maher

Auditioning
Which Subwoofer do you have, do you like it.....?

Would you recommend it..........?

I have two Wharfedale Valdus 400 and a Valdus Centre, I am looking to add a sub for my enjoyment.

Simon Brooke

Stunt Coordinator
i have got a wharfedale modus sub and i think it is okay for my needs, i am not sure i would recommend it because i have not tested many other subs, i have seen the new range of wharfedale speaker packages that have just arrived in south africa and they look pretty good.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
If you ask here what sub to buy, you'll probably hear SVS, Hsu, or even Velodyne and Adire.

I have a tempest in an adire aligment that gets the job done in the front left corner of my room.

I don't recommend putting the subwoofer behind the listener or in the middle of a wall. The best positions I've found are generally close to a front corner.

Simon Brooke

Stunt Coordinator
the thing about the svs, velodyne and adire is that they are not easy to find in south africa, so far i have seen velodyne but svs is not available and the rand dollar exchage is not condusive right now to make that kind of a purchase over the internet. thanx guys for all your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks