Real Name
Bovey
The Legend for the ascii art is as follows:

---- & lllllll = Walls

TVTV - Is ... my TV

COUCH is the Couch

wwwww = windows

DDDDD is a door -

xxxxxxx is a hallway, there is no wall there.

S = Where speakers are.

I went ahead and measured the walls and such, these are not exact but fairly close. Also please note the picture above is not drawn to scale. Also the right wall is in a straight line, formatting makes it look not as such

TV wall is 12 feet 4 inches - The tv itself is about centered in the wall with the center of the couch matching the center of the tv. The tiny window on this wall is about 2 feet 10 inches
The large wall on the left is 11 feet 9 inches to the door with the door adding another 3 feet 6 inches of space that it could be mounted but only above the door.
The wall on the right is 5 feet 6 inches and then the hallway is 3 feet 4 inches and then finally the bottom part of the wall on the right is 6 feet 5 inches.
The bottom wall you see at the bottom of the diagram is just over 3 feet 9 inches and there is nothing on that wall that restricts how high i can put the speakers.

So my question is where should I put the amp. I dont know where I should place it, in order to achieve the most vibrations or what ever you call it. I just didnt know if the windows would cancel out the vibrations from the amp or even the other wall that is split by a hallway. Sorry for the novel, any help is much appreciated! P

One final thing to note, I dont know if this affects anything but the bottom wall, aka bottom of your screen, the area that is left open is because it leads into another area of my apt, again idk if that affects anything. Thanks again.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would start with the sub in the front right corner. Not all the way in the corner, but out at least a few inches, and don't have it the same distance from the two walls. IOW, if it is 1 ft from the front wall, make sure it isn't also 1 ft from the right wall. Experiment, because moving a sub only a couple inches can make a noticeable difference.

Others HTFers will have more elaborate ways to fine tune placement.

bwiand

Auditioning
Real Name
Bovey
I tried placing that subwoofer on that right wall and its just not as loud as it used to be in my old place. I have it turned up pretty good but i dont really get any vibrations. I thought maybe moving it forward closer to an outlet and hope I'd get some vibrations with it traveling up the stud but got nothing.

I was wondering if that could because the wall is so short, then there is a small hallway and the wall continues.

Also i can only have 2 amps if by reciever has 2 amp plug ins right?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's not really how sound waves travel. You want to be concerned with how they go through the air.

Placing a sub is fairly complicated. There may be controls such as phase on the sub and how long bass soundwaves interact within a room makes things difficult. Fundamentally though, it doesn't work how you are thinking. Unfortunately, there is just too much to explain at this point. Maybe someone else will chime in, but I suggest you do some searching and reading in this section.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CashaMurphy231
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale