Subwoofer placement

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ScottHuff, Aug 25, 2005.

1. ScottHuff

ScottHuff Auditioning

I am planning on using two car audio sub woofers to be my subs for my home theater system, i have a problem, in order for the car audio subs to work the box has to be..massive, my current plan is to build the box and place it behind my couch, the room its going in isnt that big so that is pretty much the only place it will fit. my question is, does it mess with the sound to have subs behind you instead of in front of you? i read somewhere that they are non directional and theoretically can be placed anywhere in the room. the subs im planning on using are Diamond Audio TDX 12"

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You might find this to be of interest.

3. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Here is another Link on good multi sub locations and the effect. Doesn't really cover two behind the seating though [​IMG]
    Dave

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

is there a reliable way of predicting/guessing where room nodes are going to be, and where two subs could cancel each other out?

5. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Generally speaking also, car audio sub drivers do not do well indoors. They rely on cabin gain to achieve their levels, which typically translates into less than optimum performance in-room. If they are also 4 Ohm or less, you're going to need a good amp for them.

Bass is non directional below a certain point, and placement can be quite critical for good response.

7. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

What about the other way around. I have a spare SVS 12" woofer (not an ultra just the normal one) Have been thinking of helping my son build a cabinet and get some amps for his small SUV to put it into. Would it work ok and worth the time and effort? Thanks so much.
    Mike

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Might check with SVS on that one, but I don't think it will be an issue. I'm pretty sure I've heard of people doing that. They may even give you some tips on building the enclosure.

9. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

I have found through personal experience that a single sub placed behind you does not normally work out very good. As far as using a home audio sub in a car, I don't see a problem other than it being 8 ohm and not being driven as well as a regualr 4 ohm sub.