What's new

Subwoofer Placement (1 Viewer)

RobTauber

Agent
I just finished my Basement HT room. It sounds great, except for the bass, which has dissappeared.

My room is 20'L x 14'W and I have an 7'8" ceiling.

I used to run the front speakers 8'apart, with the sub in the bottom of my stand. It sounded great. Now, the speakers are 11' apart and the bass from the sub in the stand is non-existent.

The floor is concrete with a good underlay and carpet, so that in combination with my speaker placement may be a reason.

I have since moved the sub out of the stand beside the left main, the sub port firing at the corner.

Am I being unrealistic in my quest for bas due to the constrution of my room? One guy told me a wooden subfloor would have helped.

Also, could someone please guide me to an easy to undedrstand sub calibration guide?

Victor Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
Speaker placement is the key to getting the bass sounding right. Start by following the "Rule of Thirds" and if you dont know what that is look it up. As for placing the sub. I have tried the get down and crawl around technique and I dont' think it works very well. Start with your sub close to center of the wall and if that dosent work try to get it at a measurement that is a division of the width of the room by an odd number ie. 3,5 or 7 and place it that distance from the wall. There is a ton of resources available in this forum and on the web for placing speakers. From what you said above. You were origonally close to the rule of thirds for your speaker placement then moved them farther apart and the sound suffered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks