Subwoofer placement

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Steve Jones, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Steve Jones

Steve Jones Extra

I have placed my subwoofer in my entertainment armoire's bottom shelf aprox. 12" off of the floor. Does anyone think this will affect the sound? Would it matter which way the woofer faces in the cabinet? This is at the front of the room near the TV. Thanks.

2. Rus Bowisc

Rus Bowisc Stunt Coordinator

Personally, my first concern would be nasty resonances from the armoire's walls, shelves, or doors at playback.

Your sub (front-firing, I assume)needs to "breathe", and so putting in an enclosure may keep it from playing at its full potential.

Rus

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Low frequency needs to move a large-volume of air. In a "cubby" is not a good place for the sub.

Try this:

- Disconnect all speakers except the sub. Play some bass-heavy tracks from a CD or movie. (The Lobby Shootout scene in The Matrix is a good one, as is the opening chapter of Toy Story 2.)

- Listen to the sound for several minutes from your central listening position, then pause.

- Re-locate the sub to a front corner. (you can make a long subwoofer cable from pre-terminated RG6 CATV coax and two "F-to-RCA-Male" adaptors - $12 total).

- Listen to the sound for a few more minutes.

Put the sub back into the armoire to check again if you need to.

If the sound is not much different, you are good to place it on the shelf.

4. Steve Jones

Steve Jones Extra

Thanks Bob! Is the RG6 coax and the adapters how you would place it in a different location(other than 6' cord you get) or is this just for temporary testin purposes?

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Using the CATV coax works fine even for perminent installs. It is usually what I recommend for in-wall wires to the back of the room. It's a cheap, easy way to make a long cable.

But CATV coax tends to be stiff and ugly because of the weatherproof caseing. Not something you really want running around the room. Once you have found the best location for the sub (usually near a corner with the 2 longest, un-broken walls) switch to a inexpensive AR subwoofer cable for about $40, or get a custom cable made from one of the custom sites.

Subwoofers tend to like a snug-fitting RCA connector and I suspect this is where some people get the idea that a more expensive cable 'improves' the sound. So if you go with the "F-to-RCA" adaptor route, make sure the plug fits tightly. (Hint: careful pressure with some pliers can help with this.)

Also, use pliers/wrench to attach the adaptors to the ends of the coax. Loose "F" connectors are the number one cause of video problems & service calls.