What's new

Subwoofer placement (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I was one of the lucky few to have gotten one of the last DLS 10 subs and because of the layout of my room I have to have the sub no more than 6" from the rear wall. Would I benefit from plugging the rear port of the speaker or is there something else I can do, short of moving the sub?

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
Move the sub. I don't really think you have much coice. If you CANNOT move the sub for whatever reason I think you are stuck (except for maybe changing the "orientation" of the sub. If it fires at the back wall now maybe you have it fire into the room crossways and make a phase adjustment if possible. Whatever gets you the best sound. I personally don't think plugging the port is an option (someone correct me if I am wrong)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The 6" from wall doesn't bother me at all. The only thing that may sound funny is that the sub is behind the listener and not in front. Plugging the port will simply cut off the lower frequencies the sub is capable of.

Unless the sub is somehow causing cancellations with the mains, I don't see a huge problem. Maybe you can simply adjust phase on the sub so the current location sounds fine.

Remember that subwoofers are more of a pressure generator, thus it doesn't matter if the driver or ports face a certain direction. You might even get a bit louder volume if the driver is 6" from a wall as opposed to firing towards the listener. (Weird isn't it)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks