Subwoofer placement question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Todd K, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Hello all,

I'm helping a friend set up his new Yamaha HTIB. This is the subwoofer that came with it:

http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/kbest/img1039920477.jpeg

You'll notice that there is a hole on the right side of the unit, with the front having the Yamaha logo, and the contol panel being on the opposite side of the unit from the logo.

The bottom is open, as you can see, and there is a conical opening underneath.

Now with the current setup we have in mind, this hole on the right hand side will be facing a wall and will be very close to it (within 6 inches). Should I turn the subwoofer sideways, so this hole is facing forward into the room, or doesn't it matter?

Thanks for your attention.

2. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

I have also drawn up a sketch of the room, with the three possible locations for the subwoofer:

http://home.gwu.edu/~kluss/486/speakersetup.JPG

The possible sub locations are in green. The purple represent the speaker locations. The solid black thing on the right is a built in bookshelf and the little things next to the TV are built in shelves. And although the proportions may be a little off, I should note the TV is a 65" incher.

While location 1 is the most practical, I'm worried about bass not being able to escape into the room properly. Same with #2, I'm kinda worried about it getting trapped in that corner with the bookshelf. Locations 2 and 3 also concern me because they'd basically be right underneath a speaker. Or is that OK?

Thanks for your attention again,

Todd

p.s. btw, the X is the main listening position.

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I would seriously try ALL THREE - see what works best. Bass is tempermental and needs to be played with.

Bass will not get 'trapped' or anything, as long as there is a opening (as in, not in a sealed cabinet) - it can go anywhere. Next to the TV (I wouldn't get it too close), in a corner, under a table, etc.

Ideally, the subwoofer would go in a corner.

I would personally do location 3 - it will NOT affect the speakers at all.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Todd,

I’d have to say that certainly is a handsome sub for a HTIB! [​IMG]

As far as sub placement, you don’t have to worry about bass not getting into the room with #1. It looks like there is a lot of open space around the sub – beside and probably under and over the shelf? If so it won’t be a problem, neither will #2. It’s also no problem to put a sub under a speaker.

As far as which location is best, none are ideal but I’m going to go with #1 or #2. It’s best to evaluate and judge for yourself.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

How dare you disagree with me!

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Sorry - you dropped it in while I was composing mine - didn't see it! [​IMG]

7. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Thank you, gentlemen, for your input.

The subwoofer in question is the YST-SW010. The one that comes with the HTIB (YHT-150) is silver, but they're identical otherwise.

The front shelves (represented by the solid black boxes) go from floor to ceiling. Thus, the only clear opening to the room is directly in front of the subwoofer (also up and over the TV). And, with that hole on the side of the subwoofer, that's why I was worried about how well the bass would travel. The TV itself is about 6 feet tall, with the actual screen starting about 2-1/2 feet off the ground.

I just mentioned my concern about placing the subwoofer too close to the front speakers because of the setup diagrams that come with the HTIB. They show it should preferably placed in a corner outside the radius of the front speakers, or else in the middle of them.

Todd

8. CarterT

CarterT Extra

Todd K,
    I recently had a similar setup question and the nice folks at SVS (Tom V.) sent me this email response. Hope your setup works out as well.

Tom,
    I have had my PB10 for a couple of months now and am very pleased. I have tried a few locations with varied results. Currently I am using the sub facing the front speakers, JBL S312II. They are about 7' apart but not sure this is sonically optimal nor does it look all that great. I have tried putting the sub facing the same direction as the S312 but that puts it behind the listener and seems to loose a lot of volume. Aesthetically my ideal location for the PB10 seems to be under a shelf holding my HT gear and next to the S312 but the PB10 would have to turn sideways facing the side of the cabinet. The maximum distance I have is about 6" between the front of the PB10 (grill on) and the cabinet . What do you think of that location and is 6" enough space?
    Thanks for the help and good luck with you future projects.
    CarterT

Hi T.,
    I would try that new location. Six inches of clearance should be plenty. Always be sure to recalibrate the subwoofer with each move…and to experiment with the phase control a little too!
    Tom V.
    SVS

Thank you Tom for the reply. I moved the PB10 last night... WOW! What a difference. It looks great under the shelf and the sound is so much better. Much more depth and volume. During calibrating, I had to turn it down -4db from the previous setting and it is still louder and deeper. I don't know much about phasing but I experimented with it as you suggested. There is a very noticible difference. All the way "off" produces the least depth and all the way "on" produces much lower, fuller bass.
    Thank you again for your suggestions.
    CarterT

Hi T.,
    The phase control will be marked *0* and *180*. But the important thing is that you have found a good location for the subwoofer (from both an aesthetic and performance perspective) and you have the phase set to provide a good blend with the rest of your speakers..
    Tom V.
    SVS

9. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

OK, a report and a new question:

The setup went well, and #1 ended up being almost the only practical solution, and sounded satisfactory, so we're going with that. The setup is quite impressive.

But I've stumbled upon a new problem. As you can see, the right surround is a little father away from the listening position than the left surround. I figured I could compensate for this with the speaker distance setting, but you can only set the distance for both surrounds at the same time. The left is 4.5 feet away, while the right is 6.5. I compromised and set at 5.5 and I plan to calibrate by fiddling with the speaker volumes.

Is this what I should have done? Or should I have set the distance based on the closest speaker, or the farthest speaker?

10. Greg_Hammond

Greg_Hammond Agent

With a receiver that doesn't permit individual timing/distance settings for each surround, you're going to have a compromise. Taking the average (5.5 feet) as you have done is the best choice, short of moving the speakers or seating location.

Greg