subwoofer out on receiver broken

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stefan A, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

All of a sudden, I notice that my subwoofer isn't working. My main speakers go down low enough that I was not aware of it. I just thought that my sub was turned down too much. So, I hooked the sub into the output on my dvd player. When I have it set for DD, the sub works fine when hooked into the dvd player. But it doesn't work at all if I choose DTS. Subwoofer doesn't work at all through the sub out on the receiver.
    I have not done anything physically to the receiver. Do sub outputs typically go bad? The receiver is only 2.5 years old. Also, why wouldn't the sub work on DTS when hooked into the dvd player?

I have checked the settings in the receiver's audio menu. The bass is set to "Both" on my Yamaha receiver.

Thanks

2. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

Are you using the Recievers amplifier or the subwoofers ampifier to power the sub?

3. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

The sub's amp.

4. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Problem solved!

I was testing the DD and DTS LFE to try to solve the problem. I forgot about the other group of adjustments which deal with the volume of each speaker. Turns out the sub volume was set to min - so I changed it to 0 and now I can hear it.

With it set at min, I was playing "The Haunting" at full blast turning the subs actual volume knob all the way up. Not so much as a vibration from the sub. Min should be more like off.