What's new

Subwoofer or bigger speakers? (1 Viewer)

Scott Pad

Agent
I currently have a pair of JBL HLS 620's which I am happy with except for their lack of bass...no I pretty much listen to rap and would like some opinions on whether to add a subwoofer or get a larger front set of speakers. Speakers I would get would be JBL 312's or Cerwin Vega V-12F's. If a subwoofer is the way to go a few suggestions would be appreciated since I have no knowledge of what is or isn't respected...thanks for the help

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator
I say get a sub, but to help you we need to know budget, room size, and music taste.

Scott Pad

Agent
I listen to mostly rap and am on a college budget so I'd like to stay around 400 for the sub. Floor speakers I'm lookin at around 500-550. Room size is medium or average

eryn shannon

Stunt Coordinator
Are you using the system for music only or for movies as well? What kind of amp are you using to run the speakers? although those are both very efficient speakers they use large bass drivers so you would like to use an amp with sufficient current so the bass is not sloppy. If you are only using the system for music and have a decent amp/receiver I would get the speakers. If you are using the system for mostly movies I would definitely get the sub. I have had allot of experience with the V-12F's and they put out allot of bass and play loud, especially for the price. Don't expect audiophile quality sound though.

Scott Pad

Agent
Sorry, I forgot to mention my receiver..It is a Yamaha HTR-5490 and I listen to mainly music and occasionally use it for surround sound

Scott Pad

Agent
I have read how some people are thrilled with the Dayton 10 sub for 100...Is it a good subwoofer for let's say an average system like mine?

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I have had Cerwin Vegas for years and just got rid of them. My new system is mainly for movies. I used my Vegas for music and they are awesome. If I was ever going to buy some music speakers again I would get them. They are great for party's.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
I have the dayton sub and I have to say it's great for movies. It adds a pretty nice kick for $100. I would not necessarily say it's ideal for many types of music, but maybe for rap, if you're really just looking for "thud thud" it will do fine. Don't get me wrong, it's okay for music, and has helped my speakers sound better by relieving them of the low end, but it is a $100 subwoofer. I think you'll be happy for that price though with the dayton.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Definetly add a sub, that Harman Kardon sub looks like something that would really do the job in your application. I think rap music sounds a world better with a sub. Gives you that whole different attitude when listening with deep, thumping bass.

cabreau

Second Unit
If you watch movies too, get a sub. If you only listen to music, then get bigger speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks