subwoofer on an anemic budget

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Oupei, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Oupei

Oupei Agent

hey guys,

I'm putting together some scrap pieces of audio equipment to make a sound system for the playstation 2 and I just need an adequate subwoofer. I'm using the philips AV receiver that's shown here and sound old weatherproof altec lansing "model 52" speakers. These speakers aren't on the altec lansing website cuz they're so old (instuctions booklet says "copyright 1995"), but the specs they list are: 4" cone woofer, 1.5" Dome Tweeter, 48Hz-22kHz plus/minus 3 dB (highly doubtful), crossover at 3.5kHz, and 8ohm nominal impedance.

Anyways, I'm only putting this setup together cuz I have that stuff lying around so I don't wanna spend much money at all on the sub. I saw a $30 8" Jensen sub at BrandsMart that of course is looked down upon here, but is it the best deal for the price? Can you guys find a better sub for, say, $50? Also, if I put this kind of setup together, what kind of performance can I expect? For sure, I know it would be better than the tv speakers, but what about compared to $100 computer speakers or the bose accoustimass? If I can't beat those then maybe I should even try putting this thing together.

2. Jackson L

Jackson L Stunt Coordinator

I think some decent PC speakers with a decoder would be a better way to go. The Logitech Z-5300e's would sound much better. The sub on the Logitechs is especially good. Much better than the Jensen. If you don't want to shell out the money for that you could try the Jensen and your proposed setup and see how it sounds.

3. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

If you can live with 2.1 sound then the Logitech Z-2200/2300 has a competent sub especially for gaming purposes, I got mine for about $55 after rebate a few months ago.

Have never heard any good things about Jensen...

4. Oupei

Oupei Agent

man... now the 10in version of the jensen is on sale for $38.88 plus tax. Even though Jensen is synonymous with crap, it's too tempting to resist taking one home and testing it out to see how it sounds... not until after the new year though... hopefully...

edit:
    did a search for "jensen" here and at avsforum and all problems and complaints about jensen have reinforced my resistance to this el cheapo sub. looks like I actually saved money here at HTF, imagine that! or at least until I save up enough for the dayton for PE [​IMG]

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

J-R music has a sale on JPS-12 Jensen.(12" driver). $79 with free shipping.

I have no idea how good it is, but the price ain't bad..[​IMG]

Tom V.
    SVS

6. Cody Payne

Cody Payne Auditioning

if u have $100 to spend...check out the Dayton 10" powered sub at Parts Express. #300-632. my roommate has the 8" version with the same amp and it's an impressive little sub for no bigger than it is.