Subwoofer not working properly :(

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Black, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Mike_Black

Mike_Black Extra

Hey there everyone, I posted somthing about this in another forum, but I figured I would repost to this forum as it is a subwoofer issue.

Basically what is happening, is that I cannot get my sub to work in DTS or DD 5.1 mode. If i play a music cd it works fine. I have plugged the sub into the sub preout on receiver, into the LFE port on the sub, and have also tried the L and R inputs. I have tried adjusting allvolume controls on receiver and subwoofer, and sub power light is on. My setup is connected to my dvd player using a optical cable, dvd player is emitting digital signal and indicator on front of receiver that it has entered its respective mode (dts or DD). My receiver model is Pioneer vsx-d608.

I have tried to provide as much information as possible...so...any ideas anyone?

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Make sure you have all speakers set to small on the receiver setup menu.

Make sure the DVD player is set to send the AC-3/DD signal to the receiver as the default.

TV

3. Mike_Black

Mike_Black Extra

Hey, thanks for the reply. The system is definetely sending out the digital signal..as far as the speakers, if I set them to small, signal is outputted out of the woofer...but! from my knowledge 5.1's .1 track sends out its own sound, does it not? So, for testing purposes they are currently set to large, just to make sure im getting that extra track. Am I wrong?

Mike

4. Tom Vodhanel

Hi Mike,
    I would just double check the DVD player to be sure. Unless the Pioneer has a "5.1" light on it...just because you are getting a DD led doesn't mean you have a LFE track coming thru. The LFE(or the .1) channel should be produced by the subwoofer is all settings are correct.
    DVD player set to output AC-3/DD as the default
    Receiver set to subwoofer YES.
    Receiver set to a DD 5.1 processing mode
    Subwoofer patched in to the subwoofer preout of the receiver.
    Go into the DVD menu and make sure the DVD has a 5.1 track(and if it does---make sure you select it)
    I can't think of anything else, but I bet I'm missing something [​IMG]
    TV

5. Mike_Black

Mike_Black Extra

Hey there, well what I meant by that was my dvd player is showing a DD signal, as well as my receiver. Now, I know its working on my receiver because its actually quite neat how they did it... There is a portion on the frot panel that shows what type of signal is coming in, if im running dolby 2.0 itll switch to digital, and dolby, and then show an icon for each of my two front speakers...when I output DD 5.1 the icons change to each channel (fronts,rears etc..) and also one for the subwoofer ( called LFE) and even a little indicator blip flashes beside the LFE icon everyone a bass hit is produced....but still nothing. Receiver IS receiving DD signal, subwoofer is turned on in menu..I even dug up all teh little pieces of paper that came with teh receiver and there is a setup guide to setup DD and DTS systems...I dunno [​IMG] But like i said, the woofer works when I put in an audio cd :/
    MIke

6. Tom Vodhanel

And the subwoofer works fine off the subwoofer out jack of the receiver when the only thing you change is setting the speakers to small---correct? This would eliminate the possibility of a defective sub cable.

This is strange,

The sub is OK, the cable is OK, the DVD is playing 5.1, the receiver is decoding the 5.1...

Does the receiver have separate subwoofer level and LFE level settings? So when you have ALL speakers set to large,subwoofer set to YES...and a bassy 5.1 DVD playing---no bass at all from the subwoofer...nothing?

TV

7. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Mike,

Since the subwoofer works with audio CDs, it's not really a subwoofer issue, but more likely a receiver issue. Have you tried posting this question to the receiver forum to see if anyone familiar with your Pioneer has had a similar issue and figured it out?

-Robb

8. Mike_Black

Mike_Black Extra

I fixed it![​IMG] Thanks for the help guys. What it was, was the receiver had a setting called 'LFEATTEN', I guess lfe attenuator?(sp?) Well, that was off, and when I set it to 10db it now works...thanks god![​IMG]
    MIke

9. Tom Vodhanel

Good deal,
    TV