Subwoofer not working correctly :(

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Corey^_^S, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Corey^_^S

Corey^_^S Auditioning

Hey,

I just bought a Home-Theater system from Radio-Shack, not the best place to buy from but my choices and funds were limited. Anysways the subwoofer that it came with was rated at 150 watts, but when I hooked it up, I'm hardly getting anything from it. More thumping comes from the speakers than that thing.

At first I thought it may be because the cables that came with it were too wimpy, so I hooked up some 16 guage cable to it. It helped, but hardly at all.

Then I thought it may just be the movie I was watching, so I put it a rap CD with ALOT of bass, but still got very minimal results.

So is there anything I can do to increse the bass output?

I'll try to find my model on the radio-shack website to show you.

Thanks for any and all help!

2. JohnGil

JohnGil Stunt Coordinator

Is it a powered sub? If so does it power the satellite speakers (like bose) or do the satellites get connected via receiver?

If the speakers feed off the sub sounds like you need to adjust the crossover frequency. If its the other way around it sounds like you need to boost the sub channel or turn on the sub channel in your receiver.

More info on your setup would be helpful.

3. Corey^_^S

Corey^_^S Auditioning

All of the speakers feed from the reciever.

4. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Again, powered sub, or no? Sounds like it's connected with speaker wire as well? Not a coax "subwoofer out" in the back of the receiver?
    Can you set the speakers up in the receiver menu (to small)?

5. JunoVazquez

JunoVazquez Stunt Coordinator

Let us know how and what wires are hooked up from the back... everything including the power cord.

6. Corey^_^S

Corey^_^S Auditioning

Yea, all the speakers INCLUDING the subwoofer are connected to the reciever useing just speaker cable. The subwoofer does not have its own power source, just the speaker cable. I looked through all the menus on the reciever and all it has is treble. The treble is set to -10.

So am I just stuck with this wimpy thing?

7. John S

John S Producer

Well, you do get what you pay for.... You could of probably spent just a little more and got a lot more really.

Was the sub doing ok when you auditioned the model in the store?

8. Corey^_^S

Corey^_^S Auditioning

I didnt get to hear it in the store.

When I got it home its output was close to nill.

But accidentally I just came across the speaker menu, you have to hold two buttons on the front of the reciever to get to it, probobly not the best place for it but I found it.

Anyways, I turned the sub all the way up, so now its going pretty good, but I'm probobly just going to buy a different sub anyways.

Thanks everyone for your input!