subwoofer noise

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by TonyC, Aug 4, 2003.

1. TonyC

TonyC Auditioning

When I change inputs on my reciever my subwoofer makes a thump sound. THis system has been together for a couple of years and this just started happening last week. Any help would be appreciated

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

The first thing I'd try is replacing the input cable if your sub is self-powered or your speaker cables if not. I had a simular problem that I learned to ignore but only by happenstance had rewired every thing. Since this rewireing, no more thump. MY conclusion- It must have been the cable. edit PS, It has occured to me that the problem may have been eliminated because of the re-distribution of cables in close proximity to the sub cable. This is something else you might try if necessary.

3. TonyC

TonyC Auditioning

I have the input cable going from the subwoofer preout to one of the rca adaptors on the back of the sub should I get the Y-adapter so it runs through both the rca jacks on back of the sub?

4. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Tony- You can make the Y connection if you like but doubt this will make any difference with the thump your hearing. If you've already tried the above suggestions with no results, you might do as I did and just live with it. Maybe someone knows for sure, but I don't think anything can be harmed by this. If your sub setting gain control is set too high, you might try lowering this and boosting the LFE's at the receiver. Good Luck , Jack