Subwoofer noise, is it normal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CHRIS DIBB-FULLER, Aug 11, 2001.

1. CHRIS DIBB-FULLER

CHRIS DIBB-FULLER Auditioning

Hello guys
    I purchased my first subwoofer last week (Eltax atomic a10) and whenever is is switched on it makes a humming noise. This noise is loud enough to hear anywhere in the room. The noise occurs even if there is no signal input to the sub, even when the volume and crossovers are switched to 0. The phase makes no difference, and even if I disconnect the line in cable the noise remains. Is this normal?? Is it a specific problem with this make of sub?? Should I take it back.
    When watching action movies etc you cannot hear it.
    Chris

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Chris, I've got a Boston VR2000 and it too makes a bit of a hummmmmmmmm. I notice it when there's no other sound in the room, but when the telly is on it just fades into the background.

3. Joseph Kim

Joseph Kim Agent

it could be a ground loop. It's not a solution, but try a cheater plug to verify it.
    joe

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Joe: If I'm not mistaken, UK voltage is 220v and the plugs and receptacles are only 2 wire, so a cheater plug wouldn't work.
    Chris: I'd contact Eltax. They may have a solution you can apply or they may be aware of hum problems and may offer a free or affordable fix. Good luck!
    E-mail= service@eltax.com
    There is also a users group at http://www.eltax.com
    ------------------