What's new

Subwoofer near boiler room = trouble? (1 Viewer)

Mitch Davis

Auditioning
The header says it all. We're thinking about building a home theater room in the basement of an old house. The one concern is, the boiler room would be in the same room as the HT setup (albeit encased). Should we worry about the sometimes-pounding air pressure from a 14 inch subwoofer causing dangerous situtations with a gas-fired furnace?

MD

George Pappas

Auditioning
Hey Mitch

Your topic is really way out when it comes to Home Theatre.
Let me take a stab at it.

A large sub such as yours does move a bit of air but firstly, how close to the furnase is it? I would think a fan would be dangerous right next to the furnace but I don't think a sub can move any dangerous amounts of air.
If there is dust around, I would be concerned with the sub pounding dust off the floor and around the furnace with the airborne dust particles and clogging or suffucating the furnace with these particles. If I were you, I would call the local fire department and tell them your scenario. See what they say. For fire safety, they may pass by your house in one of their rounds. They do that service.

Give them a try just to be sure and worry free if you really want to put your sub by the furnace.

Hope this helps.:)

Mitch Davis

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply. The sub would be at least 10 feet away from the furnace enclosure, I just worry about such intense vibrations even happening in the same room!

MD

Nick V

Second Unit
One thing to worry about is the noise from the furnace. My current home theater is situated in the same room as our boiler room (albeit enclosed) in the basement of an old house :), and when the boiler fires up, and I'm only watching tv or watching a movie late at night, I find myself having to turn up the volume about 10dB.

It's a pain in the ass, so you might want to think about it before you go ahead with your plan.

BTW, I'm moving to a new house in September, and I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks