Subwoofer making "popping" sound, please help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bastiaan, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Bastiaan

Bastiaan Auditioning

Whenever I turn my subwoofer (Mission 70 ASE) on or off it makes a "poping" sound. I've read some posts on this forum about the pop when you turn the subwoofer off, and most people say it harmless. But my subwoofer also always makes the sound when I turn it on. Turning it on first or last makes no difference.

Does anyone know why it makes the "popping" sound? Is it bad for my sub?

For a while I just had the sub always on. But even when it's just in stand-by the top of the subwoofer gets warm. I don't know if this is bad for the sub.

2. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

I had a subwoofer hooked up to my computers amplifier that was 300 Watts along with 4 other speakers and it poped like your describing and espicially when turning it on. It never got hot for me however. It was a carpeted box so I wouldn't have noticed anyway. The amplifier got hot all the time.

The amp eventually gave out me. It was really cheap at 40 dollars and I went through several of them before converting to headphones. I was running the 4ohm 15" sub on this 8 ohm amp and it sounded alright except for the humming. The speaker still works and I still use it in my HT today.

I don't know if your running everything proper like I wasn't.I could say pretty confidently I think your speaker should be alright if your setup ok.

3. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

If it always done it. Don't worry about it. If it just started doing it, it means the muting circuit is defective.

You can opt to repair it, or ignore it, or leave it on all the time.