Subwoofer...Long Interconnect????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff James, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Jeff James

Jeff James Agent

Well, I really, really want to move my subwoofer from the front of the room to the corner or behind me somewhere. Right now, I'm using a single monster cable interconnect (pretty nice cable) to connect my JBL PB-10 to the sub output on my processor. The cord is only about 5 feet long so I'm stuck here. Do they make a super long interconnect for subs....I would have to run one up thru my wall, thru the attic and down the other wall to move this thing. UGH! I have no idea how to hook standard speaker cable up to my subwoofer. The thing is powered and I have no binding posts for subwoofers on the back of the amp. What to do?? Help???!@!?!?

Thanx in advance....

-J

2. Michael Marklund

Michael Marklund Stunt Coordinator

James,
    Funny thing, I just dealt with the same exact problem. Had decent 12' Monster subwoofer cable, had to move sub to rear of room and route the cable the same path.
    Bought the 50'(!) subwoofer specific cable from Better Cables. Just click on their logo here at HTF and go into interconnects and pick the single cable. Bottom of the page will be an area for changing the length. Downside: the cable cost $200.00.
    Before I bought the cable, I emailed the guys at SVS. Asked if there was any problem running a cable that long to my sub. They said no problem. I have not done the cable install yet as I have been waitng for my new speaker system to arrive. (Shipping company called today and is dropping off this afternoon.[​IMG] [​IMG] .) Will do install this weekend and can let ya know how well a cable this long behaves.
    Best of luck,
    MM

3. Jeff James

Jeff James Agent

Ohhh man!!! $200 bux...whew! The 50' cable may cut it after I run the drop thru the attic and such. What a pain in the butt! [​IMG] Anyone have any cheaper suggestions...I'm under the impression that bettercables are good ones but they look pricey to me.
    I just have to get this thing moved outta the front area to make room for my new equipment.
    Thanx guys and gals...
    -J

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,

Simply buy some RG-6 cable with the standard F connectors on the ends. Then just buy some F to RCA adapters. It shouldn't be more than $20 or so.

Brian

5. Jeff James

Jeff James Agent

I may have to take this post to radio shack...I have no clue what you are talking about...I'm not too good at cable stuff but I do know what an RCA conector looks like....can I buy all this stuff at Radio Shack?

Thanx for the advice...I will prolly go this direction if I can get it to work.

-J

6. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

You don't have to spend a lot of money. For a dirt-cheap and super long sub cable with outstanding performance consider this old trick. Get as much RG-6 cable from Rat Shack as you need and terminate with the typical screw on barrels (like on your TV cable), then add these adaptors to each end. Should cost around $10-15 bucks.
    Edit: Looks like I'm a little late. I was attemping to make these hyperlinks work but only had success with one.

7. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

RG-6 is the stuff you would use for sattelite. By the way to run a wire from the bottom of the wall to the top is very very difficult. It is almost impossible for someone without pro tools(6',4' and 2' drill bits) as well as metal snakes and fiberglass rods. If it is an outside wall it is even harder because of insulation. It would be much better if it were possible to run under the house. That way you would beable to cut a small hole for a wall plate the same hieght as your electrical plugs and simply drill a hole into the crawl space or basement inside the wall. just be mindful of power and phone lines. Or any plumbing. It would be even better to run the wire under the baseboard vs. up a wall, through an attic and back down a wall. You can buy the wire in black or white. if you need any advice just ask.

8. Shawn Solar

Just a thought. If you are running it on the wall(yuck) you can buy plastic tube(it is actually square) that sticks to the wall is paintable and can hide the wire neatly inside.

9. Jeff James

Jeff James Agent

I've run my surround sound speaker cables up the walls and down the walls using a drill and a fiberglass rod that our company uses to run CAT 5 drops. I won't have a problem running the thing other than sweating like a monkey [​IMG] This coax cable thing sounds weird to me but I am going this route...no way I'm spending $200 on a cable to carry a mono LFE signal.
    Thanx for this DIY advice..really awesome stuff. Never would have thought of this.
    -J

10. Shawn Solar

I haven't of yet tried the rg-6 coax but it is the same stuff as the stuff you would buy for $200. I was lucky and was able to take a stereo pair of rca cables that are for car audio(they come in 20ft) split the left and right and use a coupler between them . then ran the new 40ft cable to my sub at the back of my ht. cost about $30 and I can't tell the difference between it and the 6ft rca I used to use.
    Them fiberglass rods are the best[​IMG] I use them all the time. They cost a whole lot more than a snake or fish but you can connect them together with other rods and make them as long as you need. Make sure you pick a cool day...lol
    Before you run the wire test your sub at the back of your ht for a few days with the wire ran across the floor if you can. Just to make sure it will sound right to you. That way if you don't like like you didn't do any extra work.

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,
    Most (but not all) interconnect cables are coax cables. Your current Monster cable even is. There's really nothing weird about it. Standard RG-6 will work just fine. It's just not very flexible. [​IMG]
    Brian