Subwoofer location

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ryan_GRB, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Ryan_GRB

Ryan_GRB Auditioning

i am thinking of placing my subwoofer in a cabinet behind a thin wooden door. how much will the sound quality be affected when the door is shut? should i think about a differnet location?

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

It will completely affect sound quality........you don't even want to think of doing that.

3. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

One option might be to replace the door with a full-frame "screen" of wood to which loudspeaker grille material is stapled. You could simply inset small (1" x 3/4" x 3/4") blocks of wood at each corner and put one side of Velcro on the blocks and the other on the screen. Push the screen into place and voila! A nice hidden sub that still sounds good instead of muffled.

Grille cloth is available through PartsExpress and Madisound. You even have 6-8 colors to choose from to match your decor.

I would also put some kind of resonance-defeating material under the sub such as Vibrapods.

4. KurtW

KurtW Stunt Coordinator

Sub placement isn't anywhere near as crucial as standard speaker placement is, though that's not to say it's not important. You'll more than likely experience resonation and rattling issues, more than sound quality issues. Bass, being more non-directional than, say, towers, won't be affected as much as you may think.

I'd say try the woofer in a few different places in your room, see where it sounds best.