What's new

Subwoofer location (1 Viewer)

Ryan_GRB

Auditioning
i am thinking of placing my subwoofer in a cabinet behind a thin wooden door. how much will the sound quality be affected when the door is shut? should i think about a differnet location?

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
It will sound boomy and things will likely rattle. Try near a wall or corner for good volume and extension.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You mean the door is on the cabinet? And then you shut the door and enclose the sub in the cabinet?

I wouldn't put a sub in a cabinet, and I SURE wouldn't enclose it in there...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I agree with what has been said. Are you trying to find a location that is not too viewable?

Moving to speakers

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
I had to temporarily put my old sub (Polk 650) in a closet during a remodel. Even with the door open, it was boomy, muffled and muddy. Can't imagine how it would sound with the door closed...

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Corner or against the wall is where you'll get the best sound.....if you don't want it to be seen, try hiding it behind a couch. Good Luck
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

cabreau

Second Unit
I have to disagree with the corner placement. While it seems to increase the volume, the bass is not as accurate and almost sounds "farty", if that's even a word. In my experience (and looking at some diagrams from different speaker companies), the best place to put your subs is near a wall, between two corners. Anyone else?

ChuckRG

Agent
The corner is almost always the worst place to put a sub for even frequency response, but the best place to increase output. I have measured hundreds of rooms, and with one exception, the corner is not the right place(but cosmetically it works quite well !!)

If you have the ability to do so, the best way to determine the optimal location is to put the sub in the normal seating position and then walk around the room with an RTA, find the flattest spot, and put the sub there

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
I am going to move mine into an open location this week and see what I get. I have plenty of headroom on the PC+.

.................!.....!
.................!.....!
.................!.....!
.................!.....!
+----------------+.....+------------------------
!##....TV........NN
!
! (sofa)
!
!DD
+--------------------------------------------------

DD - Old Location if sub
## - Current Location of sub
NN - New place to try the sub

the dots are just blank spaces used for formatting

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Oops.....guess you learn something new everyday huh? I'll try moving mine out of the corner. Cabreau, what do you mean on a wall between 2 corners? :confused:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
In my experience (and looking at some diagrams from different speaker companies), the best place to put your subs is near a wall, between two corners. Anyone else?
Do you mean the 1/3rd down the wall method that THX suggests? I've seen this quite a bit but I've always heard that the corner is the best place to excite certain room modes yet it is also the best place to start your tweaking and isolate a few things.

The corner of my room is the best so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks