Subwoofer location problem

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ari, May 21, 2003.

1. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Due to WAF, I am forced to locate my subwoofer against the rear wall of the room right behind the main seating area. My wife has said that this is the ONLY acceptable location for the sub. It looks perfectly fine where it is but my problem is how to run the wire from the receiver (front of the room) to the sub.

The room has high vaulted ceilings and a hardwood floor. The left rear of the room opens up to another room and the right side of the room opens up to another area. The entire area has light walls and ceilings...in short, I just can't think of any way to run the cable along the walls or the ceiling without it being noticable. There is an area rug between the receiver and the sub but there is still some bare hardwood between the receiver and the rug and the sub and the rug.

It seems like the only way to run the wire without it being noticable would be to run the wire along the baseboard around the entire area....which would be quite a lot of cable!!

Any suggestions on how to wire up my sub?

2. marc

marc Stunt Coordinator

Do you have a basement? If so, run the cable under the floor and put a plate for the sub connection on the floor. You could also incorporate an electrical outlet there too. Just a thought.

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I'm with you, Ari.. I had the same WAF/Sub problem in my last house. I ended up running my wires along the baseboards... but I had furniture to hide it. I would say under floor if you can. Otherwise, baseboards is the way to go, asthetically.

Side note: I found the bass sounded a little "disconnected" when my sub was in the rear of the room... experiment with the phase-switch on your sub-amp if you have one. I found moving 180 degrees out of phase helped a little.

Good luck and keep us posted with the results.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How long of a run would you have to do if you go along the baseboards? Looks like you have 3 options...

1- Run along the baseboards (long interconnect). Use RG6 with F-RCA adaptors for a cheaper solution.

2- Go through the floor and run underneath then back through the floor at the back of the room.

3- Convince wife to locate sub up front.

Good luck

5. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the tips guys. I took another look at the room last night and here's what I discovered:

1. The baseboard option is out. Both the left and right side of the rooms have a doorway. There's also a floor to ceiling bay window on the right side.

2. The HT is on the 2nd floor and the subfloor is cement. There's no way for me to run a cable under the hardwood without either tearing up the wood planks or chiselling a hole through the cement.

Is there a way to send the LFE wirelessly from the receiver to the sub?

6. Jeff Detiege

Jeff Detiege Auditioning

You have another option, crown molding. You could run a cable up the inside of the front wall, go around the room inside crown molding, and go down the inside of the back wall.

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

8. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

Ari, what about front speakers with integrated subs? No hassel install and two subs.

Scott

9. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

Inwall sub [​IMG]

10. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

What's above the HT? If it's an unfinished attic, why don't you fish the wire up the wall into the attic and back down the other wall. It's a very simple operation, if you have access to the top plates of the two walls.

11. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Sorry for the late reply guys. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

The roof...no attic space to speak of...and although the front wall has conduit running through it, the back wall is poured concrete with no conduit.

I checked out the frequency response of my system the other day and it does fine down to around 35hz so I guess I can live without the sub. What kills me is that I spent quite a lot of time making the sub (Tempest in a 120L sealed enclosure) and now I'm faced with the possibility of not even being able to use it....

12. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

Oh man, this is just sad. You go through all that work just to have it stolen from you in the end...

I can think of one possible solution. Run the wire along the baseboard, and when you get to a doorway, run the wire across the bottom of the door and then put a cover over it. I know you can get rubber speed-bump thingies that will cover the wire for this distance. Of course, this may be considered unacceptable by your wife. But perhaps you can get a cover that would be relatively spread out, so there is little dicernable bump in the floor? I'm not sure.

http://cableorganizer.com/rubber-ducts/

Jonny K. [​IMG]

13. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

This may use more cable, but you could run the length along the baseboard, and when you reach the door way, run it up the trim, over, and back down the trim, and continue with the baseboard until you reach the sub...

14. Palmino

Palmino Extra

here is easy solution to your problem
    go to your next radio shack store and buy FLAT SPEAKER CABLE or check this web site
    http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=81

i know you are looking for sub cable but you can create your own, i mean you did your own sub so creating your own cable connectors would be child game for you :)

think about it

15. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

I think I actually may have a simpler solution to my problem. When I built the house, I put two RG-6 cables in every room. I have a spare RG-6 behind my HT and while the nearest RG-6 to my sub location is still quite a distance from the sub itself, at least it's along the same wall. I'm assuming that I could build a sub cable with RCA connectors on one end and an F-connector on the other and just use the installed RG-6 cables to hook up my sub. I'll still have a length of coax running along one wall but at least it doesn't have to go all the way around the room....

16. Palmino

Palmino Extra

every time when you look around you find something new in your house [​IMG] i would do just like you said
    have fun and post some picture if you can