Subwoofer Location Opinions

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DanielKellmii, Mar 13, 2004.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

I just got some new furniture. So, as the wife messed with the set-up, I changed the location of my sub. I have a sectional that leaves a corner available right by the furniture. [​IMG] I moved the sub back there. It does a great job of moving the furniture, even my wife RELUCTANTLY grins. But I am wondering if having it in that corner with the furniture far above the port affects the quality of the sound to much. For movies, I love it. Moving it to that corner has made a huge difference. I haven't had a chance to try it with music yet. Does anybody think it will be a problem?
    FYI, it is the 150 watt sub that comes with the Onkyo HT-S760.

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

No, it should be just fine where it is as far as the port is concerned. In fact, you are getting some additional gain by having it in the corner. The only problem you might run into is one or several humps in the frequency response. If it gets a bit boomy at some frequencies, to the point of sounding unpleasantly bloated, you could equalize the humps down a bit.

If you don't want the additional expense, you could always experiment with placement by moving it away from the corner. You will probably sacrifice some overall output, but you can take some of the boom out from the sub coupling with a room resonance.

If you want to get fancy you can take some measurements from simply a meter and some test tones to a more advanced measuring system like ETF to get a more even overall response.

Good luck,

DJ

3. DanielKellmii

That's exactly it. But I think I will live with it for now. For movies it doesn't bother me that much. I'll try to figure out something for music. An equalizer is not in the near future. I want a front projector first, but I have to buy the wife a new entertainment center first.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Daniel,

The Behringer Feedback Destroyer EQ only runs about $115. It won't break the bank like the projector and entertainment center will. [​IMG]

5. DanielKellmii

If it were that simple.... Don't you have a wife? I am playing a game here. Not only is it about cost, it is about "stuff" showing up. But, I have heard a lot about the BFD, and that is on my list of "stuff" to get.