1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofer level setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Schofield, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I finally finished ([​IMG]) my home theater a few weeks ago. I've got a Paradigm setup of Monitor 7 mains, Mini surrounds and a CC-350. My sub is a PDR-12 (bought off of the FS/FT Forum here). I bought a SPL meter from Radio Shack and have leveled out the speakers, I am now trying to correctly setup the subwoofer... It isn't going well. I've tried the THX setup on the Fight Club disc, to little avail. Can someone tell me a way to correctly set up my sub without buying Avia or VE? I'm a bit short on cash at the moment and can't see myself using either of the "setup discs" more than once...
    Thanks!

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I'm sure you recognize the utility of proper tools in a lab environment. No different here.

For $15 plus shipping online you can find the newish Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-up disc, made by the same Ovation people who produced the $40 Avia.

I have both and use 'em once a month or two months to tweak, and take advantge of the great tv video adjustment chapters, besides audio.

The disc devotes an entire Chapter to subwoofer set-up complete with tones. (Remember later that all speakers must be set SMALL in this calibration methodology).

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

THX setup is not intended for system calibration. You can try the internal tones in your receiver as a ballpark- but without AVIA or VE, you can't get it "correct".

-Vince

4. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

You can use Avia or VE to adjust your television as well, so I think it is a good investment. My receiver loses all of its settings when the power goes out so I've certainly adjusted sound levels more than once ...