1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofer kickback from 2 receiver setup

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike Ki, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Mike Ki

Mike Ki Agent

Not sure if this is the right area to ask this question but here goes.
    This is the setup I am running right now, the second diagram.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=228259

Whenever I turn on the second receiver for my bass shakers, my subs have a loud kickback. Is there a reason for this, is something wired wrong. Everything works fine once they're on it, it's just when I initially turn it on there's a power surge? Any suggestions?
    Thanks Mike

2. John S

John S Producer

I'd power on the subs last. [​IMG]

There are recievers that would not do that I am sure.
    Nasty, it puts something like that our over the tape Input upon power up.

Power amps last though in the way your supposed to power on, and this would include the power amps in your subs in all honesty.

I'd be scared that it may somehow be putting voltage on the line somehow after power up even though you may not hear it and if that is the case, I would not use it, if it were me.

I wish I had better news for you.

3. Mike Ki

Mike Ki Agent

So your saying that it's the old receiver that's the problem? Anyone else have an opinion?
    Thanks Mike

4. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I wonder in this day and age of energy prices rising... Electricity may be going up in my area 50% this year and its already gone up that much in the last two years if any of these things like subs, TV's, Receivers, Prepros and such that always just stay on standby and never really turn off if they draw that much current. Long sentance.. sorry but does anyone know or have an opinion. Obviously there are things like the Tivo that you just cant turn off ever...
    Mike

5. Mike Ki

Mike Ki Agent

Yeah, thanks for the whole conserve energy speech, but anyone know how to fix my problem or is it most likely the old receiver like John said.

6. John S

John S Producer

Yes, if it is happening when you turn on the second older AVR, it is the device that is spitting crap out on it's input. Not that uncommon. But I wouldn't like it either.

I don't see a way around it.

Do this test, turn the subs on, and only have the older AVR connected for testing purposes. Turn it on, if it does it, then you know it is the offending device. If it does not do it, there can be a ground level potential difference between the two AVR's which means, that you have some voltage potential difference that would always be on the sub input line when running both AVR's. That would concern me.

You can also check AC phase and grounding, which can lead to these sorts of things as well. In other words make sure the phase is the same on the AC from all devices, and make sure the ground is 0v to all devices, or maybe even make sure the ground is the same ground on all devices that are being connected here.

I guess I'd be wondering if, no matter which AVR comes on last if it causes the issue, or if it is truly just the one AVR every time it comes on.

Best of luck with it. If I were installing I'd probably just try a different amp for the Bass shakers for diagnosis purposes.

Also you do realize, your slamming the Tape In on the older reciever with a to hot input. Bass/LFE out is Pre-Amp output level, where as Tape in is meant to be a true line level input.

I never have any real luck using line inputs for pre-amp inputs and have stopped the practice completely, Pree outs as well as LFE outs are made to go to a true power amp in. Not a Tape Input and/or true line level input like CD.