What's new

Subwoofer issue (1 Viewer)

iKineOne

Auditioning
Real Name
Grant Jensen
Hey everyone, Im new to the forum, and this would be my first post. I'm a young guy whos been into audio for many many years. I started with car, went into pro sound and recording, and im not just a HT hobbyist with more than a passion for any and all things audio (video im impartial too, lol) Over the last few years i've built my 2.1 system into what it is now. Nothing out of this world yet, but a work in progress. A few months ago a replaced 3 out of 4 drivers in my Diva 6.1's. The dedicated mid, and both 8in woofers on account that the speakers have been getting a little tired over the last year. I decided at the same time to make a new enclosure for my subwoofer. The subwoofer is a SoundSplinter Rl-p15 15" driver powered by a Behringer EP-1500. I originally built a 9.5cu ft enclosure at 15Hz, then 7 @ 28Hz, then 5 @ 38Hz, and now im in a 3 cubic foot sealed. I built a small sealed knowing I would lose output and LFE, but would gain great sounding and tight bass. Sounded good for a while, but in the last two weeks or so I have found I needed to up and up and up my gain/bass/volume settings to get any sort of audible output. Before my gains were at 75%, subwoofer level at +2, and "bass" setting on receiver at +3. Now my gains are nearing 100%, subwoofer level hits +10, and i've upped the bass to +6. Im still not getting any where near the output I was just a few weeks ago. Any thoughts?

iKineOne

Auditioning
Real Name
Grant Jensen
No one? I've just tried relocating the sub, trying the "subwoofer crawl" method. Using that method I found the sub sounds best in its current location. I've rewired, re connected, reset, tested, and checked all settings over and over again without any success. I would imagine 1200-1500 watts to a high quality 15 would out do the 4 8's in my towers by far. But, alone my towers are putting out much more audible, responsive, and tighter bass. It wasnt always like this though..

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A few months ago a replaced 3 out of 4 drivers in my Diva 6.1's. The dedicated mid, and both 8in woofers on account that the speakers have been getting a little tired over the last year.
And you got replacement drivers from Swan? Anything else is like picking random parts at Autozone to repair your car with. And drivers don't get "tired". As long as the surround is intact, the driver will perform as designed.
The subwoofer is a SoundSplinter Rl-p15 15" driver powered by a Behringer EP-1500. I originally built a 9.5cu ft enclosure at 15Hz, then 7 @ 28Hz, then 5 @ 38Hz, and now im in a 3 cubic foot sealed. I built a small sealed knowing I would lose output and LFE, but would gain great sounding and tight bass. Sounded good for a while, but in the last two weeks or so I have found I needed to up and up and up my gain/bass/volume settings to get any sort of audible output.
Have you checked your amp's attenuator settings? The DIP switches? The receiver's sub output level? When you had the 38hz box, did you run the SSF on the amp at 30hz?
Im still not getting any where near the output I was just a few weeks ago.
What meter did you use to determine this? Your ears are not accurate.
I would imagine 1200-1500 watts to a high quality 15 would out do the 4 8's in my towers by far.
If the EP-1500 actually put that much power out. I have the 2500 and measured output at 20hz into 2 ohms is 800w/channel. On the other hand, I also use TC Sounds drivers and have more bass then my house can handle.
Impatient? This isn't CA.com. We will provide you with as much help as possible without any childish name calling. Over a few years I've racked up a total of 5 posts there with 4 being in the For Sale section.

iKineOne

Auditioning
Real Name
Grant Jensen
Hit a nerve did I? Nothing you've just responded with has anything to do with my actual question, so thanks anyways. I suppose I chose the wrong forum to come to, snide comments aren't my thing.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't read any tone into my response. Nothing snide about it. I am just trying to get to the root of your problem.
Any thoughts?
. I thought I answered your only question with my thoughts. I also thought of different things to check that in the past have given me and other Behringer users some issues. The Soundsplinter/Behringer is a proven combination and I have both (only the 12" RL-p though). Things just don't gradually get worse without a setting change. If there is a failure in equipment it is almost instant and it is drastic.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Grant, Robert probably knows more about subwoofers than anyone else on this forum (minus the guys from SVS, LAVA, and other MFGs of course). I highly recommend you check your ego at the door and listen to what he has to say. We can all learn a thing or two (coming from an 'old' guy like me).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks