What's new

Subwoofer Isolator review on Secrets (1 Viewer)

Ned

Supporting Actor
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ma-4-2004.html

Sounds interesting and I have a joist floor in my home theater that definitely resonates. I even have some spare Auralex panels. Could one simply make a similar base with the 2" foam? The item reviewed uses a denser foam rated up to 300lbs of load but my single SVS CS is a meagre 50lbs.

Does this sound like something worth doing?

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like Tom V's opinion on these. A few of my friends have similar things for their subs and swear by them.

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
Wouldn't your floor still resonate if you had the sub hanging in mid air from bungee chords? If you feel the walls, ceiling and furniture in your HT room during heavy bass moments (or on suitable test tones) you will find everything is vibrating.

I tried this yesterday on my 16-46 PCi with the SPL meter showing 80dB @ 30Hz (C-Slow). My glass & steel computer desk was vibrating like a diesel motor! I went right round the room & everything I touched was shaking silently.

My sub is just sitting on the carpet with underfelt on a boarded joist floor. (first floor listening room) Very deep bass can be heard clearly downstairs through the ceiling on music and film. It sounds more like conducted sound rather than airborne from upstairs.

If you have the materials already it won't cost anything to try isolation. Though I can't see why particular materials should offer improvement over quite common (and cheaper) everyday materials. Like foam camping mattresses, carpet or felt. Or a sandwich made up of the same materials. Or even bungee chords from the ceiling! :D

ChrisBee

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Daneel,

If a couple of your friends have them would you be able to borrow one, demo it, and post your conclusons?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
As the review says, it simply stops any vibrations of the sub from reaching the floor. If the actual subwoofer is vibrating, you'd want to weigh it down to stop it, so the energy is directed more to the driver motion, which should logically mean more, tighter bass with less power required per dB @ whatever hz.

I'd stop my subwoofer from vibrating before getting that thing. Even if I needed it, I'd make something myself with a nice carpet.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I would be interested in trying one...but they don't sell direct. Didn't see any local dealer options, not a listing of internet dealers. Shame

Ron

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Thanks David...for $50 I'll try one. Purchased one for the SVS-should arrive on Tues/Wed. I'll post some comments.

Scott: Great idea about using on the mains. I should try the one under one of the mains and see if there is a difference.

Ron

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Ok So I order 3 of these thing. 1 for each SvS PCUltra and the other will be cut in half and placed under my mains.

Buying them from sweetwater was like getting buy 2 get one free since there is no shipping charges tacked on.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I got a call from sweetwater to confirm my order as a first time buyer....one thing they said was if someone referred me to give them a name and they would get a % discount or refund....but since I didn't have David's last name, I couldn't pass along the benefit.

Ron

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
That's cool Ron. Don't they have like great customer service though? I got an email to confirm my order, another one for tracking#, and one to make sure if the package arrived ok. They even assign a sales rep for each individual order. And get this Ron, your package arrives with a bag of candy treats.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
I got a call from Jon Ext 1387. Seems like a good guy and emphasized that they are there not only to take orders but to assist in making the right purchase.

I am impressed.

Internet stores should take note free shipping even ground is a huge plus in making a purchase.
Scott

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
Alright... I guess I'll take the referal credit. So Ron & Scott you guys can give them my email: [email protected]. Maybe they'll send more candy ;)
You guys will not be disappointed at all with your gramma pads, they really do the job. Enjoy!

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
One thing Brian Florian mentions in his article that perplexes me is when he says:
"It will also elevate your sub a few inches, something you should do in most situations anyway"

I have a carpeted concrete floor in my HT room, should my subs be "elevated"? Has anybody elevated their subs and noticed an improvement?

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Munee,

I am in the same situation as you, concrete floor with carpet. When I first started playing with the HT I remember the RSW10 was sitting on the floor. It was moved ontop of printer box for a while. While it was on the box it seemed to have more power and better sound.

Whenthe SvS PB2+ was in the HT it was flipped upside down. Again the sound to me was better.

How much of improvement probably not enough to write a white paper on but enough to make a difference to me.

Brian Florian

Stunt Coordinator

For the same reason that we usually end up pulling our subwoofers out from the corner or wall, even just a couple of inches. The floor is a reinforcing boundry just like the walls. Depending of the design of the sub, and the height of your ears, a couple inches will tend to lessen the first odd order room mode in the room's height (at a slight cost of gain).

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Brian,

I received 3 of the grammas today, 2 for the subs and one will be cut in half and used for the fronts.

So what do I think. I think you are full of it :D. Full of good information on a product that I would have never known about, which by the way is 100% right on!!!!! The Donald Fagen DVDa truly sounds better down low. Having dual SvS PC Ultras the low end was always good but the kick drum is better sounding, The Bass in Norah Jones is simply awesome. The gramma has also removed a lot of resonace tramitted through the cement floor which has reduced the amount of rattles in this olde house. this was evident when the sub was taken off th gramma and the same music was played.

I also puchased the Auralex Mopads. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MoPAD/

During SACD and DVDa play baack the surrounds had an echo charateristic. I tried little rubber feet but that didn't help. Isolating the surrounds have a significant difference as well.

The subs were recalibrated and the typical movie samples were played. Pod race, Monster Inc, Nemo (Darla) and Das Boot. All sounded great.

I replotted the my bass curve and across the 20 to 100Hz range the system went from a 5db to a 3.4 db difference.

Simply isolating the subs decrease the peak in the 50hz range by 1.5 db.

Thanks for taking the time in reveiwing this product.

scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks