Subwoofer is making a humming noise

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_FFF, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Chris_FFF

Chris_FFF Extra

My brand new system is making a humming noise out of the woofer. Sounds like its gettn power when it should not be. Its supposed to go standby after a while without signal, but it doesnt look like it doin it. It just started doing it. Any ideas, I wasnt blasting it or anything I swear =)

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Chris,

You probably have a ground loop, typically induced through your cable TV or satellite feed. Do a search on “ground loop” and you should find all the information you need, like what causes them as well as some remedies.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Is the subwoofer powered, i.e. does it have its own built in amplifier and receive a low level input via cable with RCA plugs?
    If a filter capacitor in the power supply is bad, there will be a hum.
    Try unplugging and replugging the cable to the amp which cleans and improves the contact at the jacks. Contact can degrade from oxidation over a period of a few years standing still, even if nobody touches the cables or jacks. If a low level audio cable does not make good contact or is bad, notably the RCA plug shell to shell/ground connection via the coaxial shield inside, there may be a hum.
    If the amp connection is a low level connection but you use a high level speaker grade cable (as two side by side wires instead of a coax type cable) there is a good chance you will have hum that may vary as you reposition the cable relative to other nearby audio, video, or power cables.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Chris_FFF

Chris_FFF Extra

The woofer has its own power, yes. Its plugged into a brand new surge protector. Also the LFE plug runs to the subwoofer in the back of the receiver. Thats all the conections it has. I've only had it now about a week, and it just started last night. Weird.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Chris, when you search, do it in the "Speakers and Subwoofer" fourm. You will find lots of posts.

Hint: disconnect your CATV coax while the hum is present does the hum go away?

6. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Also, try turning off and on any lights and such that may be on the same electrical circuit. Dimmer switches on light switches can be a problem too, especially when they are turned low.