Subwoofer interconnect

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Chang, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Frank Chang

Frank Chang Agent

I'm a relative newbie to this forum but have read many past posts.

Upgrading a midlevel HT with Denon 3802. Decided to add a Sony SAWM40 sub for LFE to compensate for older small Rear & side surround speakers (have purchased polyfil & feet not yet installed). Aesthetics will dictate about an 18 foot distance from 3802 to sub. I have 6' & 12' Radio Shack Gold interconnects I could easily link together and also a DIY RCA terminated Belden 9116 75 ohm coax. How important is the interconnect for a budget sub doing only LFE?

I'm wondering which wire will sound better or should I go out and buy something else?

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

You are opening a can of worms with this one, but IMO you will be fine linking the two cables. Because a sub doesn't produce a full frequency range, you might get a boomy-ness type sound with a patched cable, but the degree of clarity you may gain from a new cable may not justify the cost here. Again, this is my own opinion. I am not a "cables make no difference" guy either...I agree they do, but for this application I think you will be fine.

At least try it first, then if you don't like the sound, think it's boomy...buy a new cord and compare.

-Ev

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I might disagree and recommend a single, un-broken cable. The one made from Belden coax should be fine.

Here are my thoughts:

Coax tends to be defined by it's upper frequency limits. For subwoofer frequencies 15-120 hz, almost any coax will work fine.

But when SVS subs came out, they also recommended inexpensive/generic cables. But an early purchaser got a unit and found it to be un-impressive compared to the less-expensive unit he was replacing.

After a few days, another cable, still the same cheap grade, was tried and the results were much better.

The new cable had tighter RCA connectors. This alone seemed to have a dramatic change in the sound. Not the price/quality of the coax.

So running 2 cables with a barrel-connector gives you more places to have a loose-connection. A single, un-broken cable is likely to give you better sound.

So check your plugs.

4. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

I agree avoid the joined cable method.

I wouldnt recomend using the Belden 9116 either. It uses a copper covered steel conductor with only a 60% aluminum braid shield. While it will work it will not allow your sub to perform to its full potential. I think a boomy, sloppy bass will probably result.

If you have the DIY ability then consider buying a more suitable cable. A Canare GS-6 cable will work and its affordable ( providing you can solder).It will be improved upon by some other Canare cables and bettered by Belden 89259.

5. Frank Chang

Frank Chang Agent

I also have other used higer end audio cables in my collection. I found a set of 30' directional looks like "FMS Blue Five" audio cable. Does anyone know what this is? It was used as an interconnect over 10 years ago prior to a cable upgrade for an audio system. I'd hate to break up the pair and cut one but it's just been in my shop dormant over 10 years. I guess I could just use 1 but it's twice as long as I really need.

Is coax really OK for Subwoofer interconnect? There used to be a lot of hype in audio cables years ago when I was more into audio. I have some significant investments in other subwoofer interconnects to bi-amped speakers in a different audio system.

Are the Belden 89259 and Canare GS-6 solid conductor coax or braided center conductors? Where can I find more information and purchase one of these raw wires for DIY cables.

6. Myram

Myram Second Unit

Or you could buy a dedicated subwoofer cable from Monster or any of the other companies.
    I have the Monster M351 sub cable and it cost me $40 for a 2.5m.
    Check out www.ebay.com and do a search for "subwoofer cable" and you will come up with many good options at some very good prices.
    Good Luck

7. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Frank,

Yes some coax is suitable for subwoofer use.

Canare GS-6 is a stranded 18AWG construction. Available at numerous on line cable suppliers. Its relatively cheap.Let me know where you are located and I'll suggest some suppliers.

Belden 89259 uses a uniquie set of materials which are hard to find in a similar coax cable.

Stranded bare copper center conductor (22awg), bare copper braided shield ( not tinned copper or aluminum), Teflon insulation and a Teflon jacket.

It is expensive because of the above construction. If you need less than 100' then you will a hard time finding it. There are a lot of places to purchase it in 100' rolls but only a couple of places that will sell it by the foot.

In Canada try RhinoCables.com - They sell pre-made sub cables using this cable. Occasionaly I have seen raw cable for sale.In the USA try Boldercables.com - they sell raw cable and pre-made cables.

Another good source is Diycable.com - These guys sell cable kits as well as pre-made cables.

Hope this is of some assistance

8. Frank Chang

Frank Chang Agent

I live in Denver, Colorado

9. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

For Canare GS-6 one source is markertek.com

Your home town should have suppliers though. Its a popular guitar cord.

bettercables.com used to use it for their sub and audio cables if my memory serves me correctly.

10. Lou Balch

Lou Balch Auditioning

Am using Monster Z-Bass cable with great success.