Subwoofer Interconnect Cable Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gareth, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Gareth

Gareth Stunt Coordinator

I am looking to upgrade some of my cables, but specifically, the interconnects that go from my processor to my subs.
    I have the sub out going from my ADA Cinema Rhapsody to a Crown K2 which powers my front two LFE subs (left and right).
    I would like to get the bass response to be much tighter and cleaner. I've seen a lot of posts recommending certain subwoofer interconnects, stating that a better cable helps tremendously. Currently I'm using cheapo $20 Monster cable. Any suggestions on what does or does not work? I've heard CATcables makes a good interconnect.
    For my 5 channels I have Home Grown Audio Super Silver II's running from the processor to the 5 channel amp, and I love them. Has anyone used homegrown's silver cables as Sub interconnects??
    Thanks for the help guys.
    Cheers,
    Gareth
    PS Looking forward to connecting the gamecube tomorrow via component inputs! I'll post how it looks and sounds. I cannot wait.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

what possible reason would there be for a replacement cable for your monster to affect the 'tightness' of your bass? while i'm sure catcables makes a cable that works, your apparent disatisfaction with the bass of your system lies elsewhere, perhaps in the subs themselves. of course you might also want to look into the overall placement of your speakers in conjuction with other items in your listening environment. despite anecdotal statements to the contrary, and there are many, there is nothing to suggest at this time that a change in cables will do what you are attempting to achieve. its not just your eyes that are easily tricked, so are ones ears.

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Gareth: Although some cables can make an improvement when compared to other cables, your subwoofer output is far less picky with regard to cables since the frequency spectrum is so low and restrictive. All you really need is a good 75ohm (video)cable. Unless you put a 1/4" connector on the end of the cable itself, you will also need to use an RCA to 1/4" adapter which will further reduce any boutique cable benefits. Still, if you are looking for every little last tweak, give the Cat a try since at Catcables they say "if you don't hear a difference, we'll give you your money back".
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

It's quite possible that some equalization of your subs would be a much better investment than cables. BTW, what subs do you have?
    Brian

5. Gareth

Gareth Stunt Coordinator

Thank you all for your replies.
    I am very happy with my subs. This "cable replacement" is just for some tweaking to play around and was wondering if these subwoofer cable posts were just snake oil posts or there was some legitimacy to them.
    In the back of the room I have 2 NHT Sub Twos.
    In the front of the room I have 2 subs which handle the LFE signal.
    I also have the right front and left front speakers split off going to a Rane processor as well as to the front speakers. The Rane takes the low end of the signal and sends it to two other right and left subs which gives me a great "directional bass" effect in the room.
    The 4 subs in the front of the room are powered by two Crown K2's. They have aluminum 10" cones on them and each sub weighs about 180 lbs. They move air through the room like no one's business.

6. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

If you want to tweak your sub ( tighten etc..) try a Teflon based Dielectric cable. I replaced my monster sub cable with the Rhinocables.com ( Belden 89259) and it did make a big difference. For some reason lower freq enjoy the benifits of Teflon. Sorry but in this case I dont think catcables sub IC will offer any improvement over the Monster cable. IMO Tinned copper center wire is not the best way to go.
    beside Rhinocables.com another company that sells the Belden based cable is Diycable.com If you can handle a solder iron you can even buy the cable as a kit (from DIY)and save some money.

7. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

p.s. Just about every cable maker now gives a money back policy. bettercables offers the longest ( 6 months) so with who ever you go with there is very little risk except for maybe postage.

8. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Mark, CAT has several cables that can be used as sub cables including silver and 14 gauge OFC copper with teflon coating, and it only takes an email to discuss them. So, what you said is not entirely accurate. That's why we have Custom in our name.
    If you want to know what CAT carries, just ask me via email. It's nice to have an opportunity to discuss it with a potential customer anytime. [​IMG]
    Doug