subwoofer insulation?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lyden, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

hi all

i just got a sub and i dont know much bout them but is there supposed to be that insilation crap over the air port?... just decided to see hawfar back the port went and i hit a wall of that isilation stuff is it supposed to be over the port? does that stop the annoying air rattle that happens when alot of bass goes through lik on the car subs?

thanks for youre help

2. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] so i take it no one knows if theres supposed to be that stuff over the port on the sub ohwell any one know how to give my sub oomph its got the port on the qback of the sub i dunno why so it sounds weird how should place this baby?

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

The polyfill insulation should not be blocking the ports. You didn't mention the type of subwoofer that you own. Maybe if you give us a few more details, someone will chime in to assist you with your issue.

Once you have moved the polyfill away from the ports on your subwoofer, you might want to try placing the subwoofer in a corner - where the performance should be increased some more.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I second not blocking the ports with insulation. If you are adding your own insulation or messing around with the stuff that is already crammed inside, make sure to leave cooling space for the power supply/amp. Do not cram insulation around the amp either.

5. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

thanks [​IMG].
    i have a KLH 10inch 100 watt sub its a cube design uhh has ajustable crossover from 40hz to 180hz but they say it can go to 30hz aswell i dunno how that works the polyfill is like glued over the port on the sub i havent taken it appart yet so i dont know if there is anymore polyfill in there. and as for the port noise i was curious if putting polyfill over the port stops that. because my sub doesnt do that, but ive had otehr subs that did when there was no polyfill over port ..... really i want to know is it safe to and or better to remove the pice of polyfill thats over the port?

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

7. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

oh ok thanks [​IMG].
    they say that a sub that has responce under 80Hz you cant tell where its placd but my ears are sensitive and i can tell where a sub is in a room nomatter what unless its directly infront of me or if there are multiple subs... so my problem is i like how when i put the sub in the corner its louder at lower amp levels (less heat for the amp) but when its in the corner i can really notice the placement right now i have it under my TV is ther eanyu ways i could fix my locatin problem? (sorry if i dont make much sence if needed i can retype[​IMG] ) thanks for any help