What's new

Subwoofer-induced damage (1 Viewer)

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
My 50" Toshiba projection tv just blew it's red filament. The technician said that it may have been due to the subwoofer being close to the tv. My room is very very small (12*12') My sub (Paradigm PW2200) is placed about one foot in front and 1/2' to the left of the TV. The vibrations this thing puts out shakes the walls ceiling, and the listener (I watch movies with pretty loud volume, and lots of bass). Has anyone here ever heard of such an occurance? My friends who are more HT-experienced than I say that the tech was BS'ing me, that projection TV's are made with Home theaters in mind and the designers of the TV must have taken subwoofer vibration into account when designing the set. what do you guys think? I can't move the sub to another location that sounds as good as it's present place.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I wouldn't see how a sub could blow a CRT filament, since (unlike light bulbs) vacuum tube filaments are inside a jacket and are well protected from vibration. Chances are vibration would cause other problems long before it affected the filaments.
More likely the CRT had a defective filament, or the gun was really old (how old is the TV?).
KJP

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,
The Projection TV is about one year old, and used very sparingly since I was away for several months earlier in the year..
You mentioned that the vibrations would cause other problems, could you please elaborate?
Thx
Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks