subwoofer in pink test

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by AndrewKra, Mar 13, 2005.

1. AndrewKra

AndrewKra Agent

Why dont i get any sound from the subwoofer channel in the pink test?? anybody know?? the subwoofer works fine with everything else just wont put out sound in the pink test.

2. AndrewKra

AndrewKra Agent

also, does anybody know of a free software that can measure decibles so i dont have to spend 60 dollars on one?

3. John S

John S Producer

Can you elaborate some more on this????

Where is the pink test comming from? System details as well please.

4. AndrewKra

AndrewKra Agent

it is the built in tone test on the receiver that I am using. The receiver is a RCA RT2300. Manual at http://download.ethomson.com/english...B/55021630.pdf the subwoofer is a mtx sw2 12 inch 100 watt sub. If I turn the volume way up on the receiver I can hear the subwoofer noise during the test but it isnt nearly the same level as the other speakers. But when I watch a movie there is plenty of bass. When I am watching TV in stereo mode(digital optical input) there is way too much bass, and when I watch TV in pro logic mode there isnt enough bass.

5. John S

John S Producer

Not sure on that piece of equipment why this would be. I think only an upgrade is going to help you much here at all.

6. AndrewKra

AndrewKra Agent

I was looking at my subwoofer owner manual and it says to run the preamp out to one of the 2 inputs on the sub, but I have been using a y-adapter to connect it. when I take the y-adapter off, stereo mode sounds more like it should. could that be the problem?? am I not suppost to use a y-adapter?

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Many times the pink-noise does not send signal to the subwoofer. All my Yamaha recievers skip the woofer.

You need a setup dvd like the Sound and Vision disk ($20) or Video Essentials or Avia.

If you have a CD rom burner you can make your own test-tone cd using a tool like "NCH Test Tone Generator"

http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/

No. There IS some good software in the $100 range that can do a lot of interesting stuff. But you usually have to add a calibrated microphone ($200) to get it to measure things with any accuracy.

The $45 SPL meter from Radio Shack is a fairly inexpensive tool most of us have.

8. AndrewKra

AndrewKra Agent

how am i suppst to get the noise on that program to go to each speaker seperately. cant I only do this if it is dolby digital encoded??

9. John S

John S Producer

Well it is a DVD, so I would assume it does just that.