Subwoofer in a platform?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StuartL, Sep 17, 2002.

1. StuartL

StuartL Auditioning

Sep 15, 2002
    I am building a new home with a dedicated HT room 15'x16'x12'high. The floor is a slab. I am planning to build a platform approx 8"x11'x6' for the second seating tier. The entire floor area will then be carpeted, including the platform.
    I have been entertaining designing this platform into a top-firing subwoofer enclosure.
    Am I nuts? or could it have some beneficial aspects worth pursuing? I have Velodyne sub-woofers now (3) of which I am very happy with, for audio playback, but would like to build something for this HT that would take advantage of this 6'x11' raised "baffle".
    I am a newbie to this site, and need your advice.
    Stu [​IMG]
  2. I am sure you can do it, but I would brake up that 11 and 6 foot span into sections. 11ft length will cause some noticable resonances. The 6ft is pushing it.

you will be loosing a lot of output and room gain with it not being cornerloaded. You will also want to get a behringer feedback destroyer to take the room responce as well.

Do plan on A LOT of bracing. ....a bunch of 2x2's spanning the 8" would work. I would brace every foot.

if you can create an image on where the couch or chairs will sit on it, we can work something out as far as eliminating the enclosure resonances