Subwoofer in a closet?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Allen Longcor, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

So my HT is going to be placed in a standard sized bedroom. The only place I will really have room for it is in the closet. This is not ideal but can it be done? This will be a working closet so there will be clothes in it. I'm thinking that when I play movies I'd probably want to open it up too. My sub is quite a few years old and is a custom built Adire sub from acoustic visions. I believe the driver is a Shiva but I don't want to lay money on it.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It will work sort of, but if you don't have the door open, you will lose about half or more of your output. You will not want to have it crossed over very high either.

3. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I don't have the money to start an IB project or I might give it some thought. The more I think about it the more I don't like the idea of placing my sub in a closet, so perhaps I could squeeze it in a corner somewhere. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't a complete jack*** for thinking of placing it in the closet [​IMG]

4. Steve Lumbert

Steve Lumbert Stunt Coordinator

Most of my older HT migrated to my 5.1 system in my bedroom - nothing like having separates in your bedroom HT system. I have an Eathquake Supernova MKIV 10" sub in a small walk-in closet which is located in the front corner of the room. The closet is about 4.5 x 5' and does contain some clothes. I went this route mainly because I would have had to get a very long sub cable to put it anywhere else.

My closet has a regular door and not the dual slider variety. This configuration actually works out really well and I can tune the bass by how much I open the door without changing any level settings. I usually keep it open about 1/3 of the way. I think I also benefit from some room gain on account of the smaller volume of the closet that I wouldn't have if it was placed out in the main room somewhere.