subwoofer humming

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Johnny Ayala, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

My sub which is connected to my sub output of my reciever is making a hummimg noise. Any ideas of what causes it? I tried turning the sub down, but it only stops if it's turned way down.

2. Matt Hoffman

Matt Hoffman Auditioning

I would try to see trying to get a power strip that can cut noise out of your power lines and run the sub off of that. I had the same problem having my HTPC being on the same power line as my sound system and powered sub. Went to Walmart got a power strip that cut noise out of the line and bingo my sub does not buzz anymore. Its either that or you have a bad connection to the amp. My guess is its something causing noise on your powerline the sub is running on.

Hope this helps

MATT

3. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

Hums are usually the result of a ground loop. There are a couple things you can try. See if plugging your subwoofer's AC cord into the same power strip or outlet as your receiver fixes the problem. Also, if you have cable TV or even an antenna connected to your system, try using a surge protector/conditioner which includes filtering for your cable/antenna. The latter definitely reduced the hum level in my system.

Aaron Gilbert

4. Chris J Hall

Chris J Hall Auditioning

Then there's ye ole cheater plug(three prongs to two). Some don't like this option due to the removal of the ground, but it is the cheapest suggestion.

I would consider it the cheapest way to check and see if you have a ground loop problem. Then you can go out and buy a salution for your problem if you feel uneasy with floating the ground. If it doesn't work you definitly will know its something else and a bit more frustrating.

5. Johnny Ayala

thanks for the tips, I unpluged the sub from the receiver and it still hummed...even more when i would touch the cables..??.. I'm using a "Y" adapter to connect it to the single output from the receiver. [​IMG]

6. Johnny Ayala

Tried using the same power strip that my other components are connected to. Still humms. When I lower the volume on the sub, the humming lessens, but when I turn it back up.it gets louder. ???? [​IMG]

7. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

With your system completely hooked up as normal, try removing the coax cable feed from your cable TV/DSS system to your television. If this stops the hum, then you have a ground loop. One of the easiest ways to solve this is to purchase both a 75-300 ohm adaptor and a 300-75 ohm adaptor. Hook them both together, and place them inline w/ your cable signal...

8. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

Can we assume that this same sub in the same system has not always hummed, and this is a recent occurence? If so, has anything changed in your system lately? Does the subwoofer hum if it's power cord is plugged in, but nothing else?

Aaron Gilbert

9. Johnny Ayala

The sub never hummed before.........but i had it connected to the spoeaker in/outputs.now im running it to the sub output.and it humms. It humms even when the input is disconnected. I tried disconnecting the cabkle to the cable box..still....no luck. HELP!!

10. Johnny Ayala

Sound i be using some sort of special cable? Right now I'm using an RCA cable....to a "Y" connector. Should they be shielded?

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Yes, you should be using a shielded cable for the sub. If you aren't, just go to Radio Shack and buy one of their interconnects. It'll be fairly cheap and should work fine for you.

12. Johnny Ayala

When the sub is plugged in but the cables are not, it doesn't hum.

13. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee