Subwoofer humming - HELP

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Larry J, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Larry J

Larry J Agent

I have had my paradigm 2200 subwoofer hooked up to a Denon 3805 for couple years with no problems. I recently moved and when I hook up my subwoofer, I only get a loud humming noise. I have tried different outlets and a ground attachment. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. MiguelP

MiguelP Stunt Coordinator

You might have a lot of dirty ac power around your new place try getting a Monster Powerbar 1000 to filter out those kind of dirty power. Check your cables if thier damaged or plugged in right. Otherwise I can't help you buddy.

3. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

"dirty power" is not causing a hum. DO NOT buy those horribly expensive "power conditioners" unless you just like throwing money down the drain.

Either something in your sub went belly up, or you have a real serious ground loop.

Are you saying that the sub makes no sound other than a hum? If you have a hum with absolutely nothing connected, you need service.

If you mean there is a hum along with the music, you're likely suffering from a ground loop. Hook the sub to the amp or pre-amp only, and leave everything else unplugged. Use those nasty 2 to 3 prong AC adaptors on the sub or the pre or both, whatever eliminates the hum. Add other gear one piece at a time, and use a 2-3 prong adaptor if you need it.

Now, you really should not need the 2-3 prong adaptors (known for being a bit dangerous to musicians and the unwary) If you can plug everything in to the same electrical outlet (with suitable power strip) then you may just solve the trouble.

Double check all your cables to make sure that none of them are broken. It may be that the shield on your sub cable is broken. Try a different cable, even if it is a cheap one.

4. dopplermhz80

dopplermhz80 Auditioning

disconnect your cable tv connection from the wall. It helped with mine. But not completely gone yet. Try running a dedicated circuit/outlet just for the amp. no disrespect, but turn off breaker first. dont die for bass, have bass to die for.

5. Larry J

Larry J Agent

Thanks for the information. Haven't had a chance to get back until now. I will try disconnecting each piece of equipment (right now only satellite and CD player). I did try to disconnect satellite and the humming persists (although it was lower). The humming only occurs when the sub is connected to the receiver and I can only hear humming, no bass from music. When I run the dedicated circuit, should this be only for the sub or for the entire system?

6. Larry J

Larry J Agent

All:

Oddly, I had two cables that were bad (switched cables and problem continued, so I figured cables weren't an issue). Used a cheap cable and sub works. Will get a quality cable ASAP.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Out of curiousity, what brand or type were your two bad cables?

8. Larry J

Larry J Agent

The good cable is Monster. Will check the other.