What's new

Subwoofer Hum, please help (1 Viewer)

JoshBerens

Auditioning
Noob here, is the search function always down? Anyway, I have a Klipsch KSW12 II sub and I'm getting a very noticable hum from it. The hum is quieter when the receiver is turned off, but still there. I have tried using both the speaker wire inputs as well as the RCA inputs and get the same hum. When the sub is on and there are no inputs connected, there is no hum. I have had the same sub/receiver in the past 5 places I've lived. Home, college, townhome and two homes of my own in the past two years. The sub was fine at my parents home, at college, and in the townhome, I did have to use a two prong power cord adaptor. The hum has been present in my first house and in the one I just moved in to. Do you have any suggestions?

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
The TV cable is a frequent culprit. If you have it plugged into your receiver or TV, try disconnecting it and see if the hum stops.
My cable guy connected the cable to the grounding screw on my wall outlet. It worked for a day, then it loosened and I had a much quieter hum. Then I used a 2-pronged cheater plug for my receiver and that killed it.

JoshBerens

Auditioning
I can try that, but it's just some bunny ears. We just moved in a couple weeks ago and still have to get the satelite dish approved by the association.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
If you have a long extension cord you might want to try plugging in your sub on a different circuit? I would go to the extent of running it up the stairs if you live in a two story home. You might try setting your SW gain up past the middle value on your receiver and then go no higher than 20-30% on your plate. What extreme of a humm are you having to deal with?

JoshBerens

Auditioning
The receiver is not a high quality one, it's just a pro-logic capable Pioneer so there is no SW gain on the receiver. I'll try putting it on a different breaker. The hum is very annoying, it's not something that I'm being picky about. Let's put it this way, it's so bad that the sub is disconnected and in storage in the basement now since I couldn't figure it out.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
I get a slight humm from mine as well. I believe, in my case, that it is there because the outlets in my house are not grounded. I cannot do anything about it because I'm renting. But if you get a humm only when it is connected to you reciever. Have you tried unplugging different sources 1 by 1 to see if the eliminates the humm. I know how annoying a humm can be. Tributaries makes a cable to stop humms, you might want to look into that. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks