Subwoofer Hum - Advice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnThompson, Nov 16, 2001.

1. JohnThompson

JohnThompson Stunt Coordinator

John Thompson
    I purchased an Acoustic Research S12HO back in '98.
    It has served me well since then, but I have lately began to notice my sub making a "humming" noise when it is on. The noise I am referring to sounds like a guitar amp that is turned up. The humming noise increases as I turn up the level, and does nothing when I adjust the crossover. The Speaker sounds fine. Does this mean the amp on my sub is dying, or could it be some type of electrical interference.
    Help!
    Thanks

2. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Sounds like a ground loop. Try using a "cheater" plug (the ones that eliminate the ground pin). You can pick these up for about a dollar at most hardware stores. If it solves the problem, then you will need to do a search for ground loop problems here and on other sites. Here are some links to start you off .. http://www.channld.com/hum.html
    [Edited last by Sankar on November 16, 2001 at 05:16 PM]

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The other source of hum is often the CATV coax. Try disconnecting this while the hum is audible.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Also, make sure signal wire and power are not run near eachother. Any electronic devices near the sub or the wiring could cause noise. Are you using line or speaker level inputs? Speaker level inputs are more susceptible to noise.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

5. JohnThompson

JohnThompson Stunt Coordinator

John Thompson
    I am using line level outputs. Thanks everyone for the help - I am going by the hardware store now.
    [​IMG]