What's new

Subwoofer Hookup Question (1 Viewer)

Dan Cabral

Stunt Coordinator
This is something that I've been curious about for a while.

Most decent subs I've seen have a stereo inputs. Even high end AVR's have a single output for the sub.

What is the purpose of the stereo inputs on a sub if most receivers won't output in stereo?

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same question too, but for now, I hooked the sub cable to the L "or" R on the sub input

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i use the stereo inputs by connecting them to the preouts of my stereo receiver. if i only hoked up one of the preouts I'd be missing the other channels bass.

Greg Foan

Stunt Coordinator
If you're using the line level out (the .1 of 5.1) you can feed it in either the left or right channel, shouldn't matter with most sub amps, or you can use a splitter if you want, although it really won't make a difference.

Dan Cabral

Stunt Coordinator
If you're using the line level out (the .1 of 5.1) you can feed it in either the left or right channel, shouldn't matter with most sub amps, or you can use a splitter if you want, although it really won't make a difference.
I think it's safe to say that this is what most people do, and the way most subs are designed to be hooked up to an AVR.

But the question remains... if this is how they're supposed to be hooked up, what is the purpose of the stereo inputs on the sub?

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
like i said, one purpose is for a 2 channel system without a sub out. My marantz stereo receiver lacks a sub out so I use the left and right preouts to go to the subs left and right inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks