Subwoofer Hookup Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Weight, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Jeff Weight

Jeff Weight Stunt Coordinator

I have a Paradigm PS-1000 sub. I recently upgraded my receiver to an Integra DTR 7.1. The receiver has mono output for the sub hookup. My sub has both stereo and mono inputs for the signal.

I’m wondering what the best hookup method is for the sub. Should I use a “Y” connector and run the sub with a stereo signal. Or should I run it with it with a single cable and hook it up mono? In my sub owners manual it states: "In some cases more volume gain may be required when the subwoofer is used with high sensitivity speakers. To obtain 6dB more gain use a "Y" connector and plug in both low level input channels."

If I only run the sub mono, does this mean that I’m not utilizing the full potential of the subs amplifier? I have a very good single subwoofer cable, if I use hook up a “Y” connector to it, in theory won’t I loose some signal? Also if the impedance of the cables isn’t the same doesn’t that cause signal loss?

What is the best method for hooking up my sub utilizing its full potential?

Thanks for the help.

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

You should not use a Y unless you have to trim the sub near the top of the range in the receiver's setup, as could be the case if your other speakers were very efficient. Using the Y would not cause signal loss and would not create impedance problems. Impedance of these coax cables is zero in a sub's frequency range.

Anyway, what the Y does is provide 2 identical signals to the sub amps input stage which the amp sums. It doubles the amplitude of the input signal. "Isn't that a good thing ?" you might ask. Well, not really. If the sub is calibrated with a single cable, then you add the Y, then its 6 dB too loud and you have to trim down your sub 6 dB- you're right back where you started except now a superfluous RCA connection is in the chain.