Subwoofer hookup options....

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jeff_Wi, May 31, 2005.

1. Jeff_Wi

Jeff_Wi Stunt Coordinator

I have a Dayton Titanic MKIII sub hooked up to a basic 2 channel receiver, which does not have a sub out. I have been using the spekaer level inputs on the sub to the mains. Is there another way to hook these up? I have been hearing that speaker level inputs with high pass filters dont sound as good, so I am looking for a different setup. I also tried hooking the sub's speaker level input to the "B" speaker terminals on the receiver with the mains hooked directly to the "A" terminals. However, it didn't seem to work well at all, I had to turn the main volume knob way up and the mains didn't sound good. I can't get a new receiver right now, so can you give me some tips?

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Jeff,

In your situation using the speaker level inputs is your best option.

-Robb

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It’s true that running the speakers through the sub’s passive crossover can affect the way the mains sound. However, what you can do is not connect the speakers thorough the speaker connections. Just parallel (i.e., split) the speaker outputs, one set of wires going to the main speakers and one to the sub’s speaker-level inputs. This way the signal going to the speakers does not pass through the sub’s passive crossover, yet the sub still gets the signal it needs to operate.

Now, this should have essentially been the connection scheme when you attached the mains to the A terminals and the sub to B. However, some receivers will internally connect the second set in series rather than parallel – that might explain the problem you had.

So, I’d try connecting both the sub and mains to the A terminals and see what happens.
    The trade off is that you don’t get any high-pass filtering for the mains, so what you do is dial in the sub so that it comes in about the place the mains roll out naturally.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jeff_Wi

Thanks Wayne. Don't I have to worry about runnign the sub and mains in parallel off of the 'A' terminals? My mains are Samson Resolv 65 w/ 4ohm rating and the subwoofer driver is rated at 4 ohm. Althought the sub has its own power, does this affect anything compared to using two pairs of speakers in parallel? I would be looking at a 2 ohm load if in parallel! I know my Sony receiver won't like that!

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jeff,

Some Infinity and JBL subs use this same scheme, providing only speaker level inputs but no outputs. The receiver won’t “see” the sub, as it won’t be driving it directly. The speaker connections from the receiver are merely providing a signal for the sub.

At least that’s the theory. It won’t hurt to try it and see what happens. Hopefully it will work better than the A/B connections you tried before.

Let us know how it works. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Jeff_Wi

Wayne, you da man! he-he-he! All kidding aside, hooking the sub and mains together worked flawlessly. The amp seems to run just fine and the sq isn't distorted or fuzzy. Thanks again.