Subwoofer help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Rodgers, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Greg Rodgers

Greg Rodgers Auditioning

I am trying to add a subwoofer to my system, which includes a Sony 835 digital reciever and a Bose AM-6 speaker system. I have a powered sub that has two RCA plug inputs on the back, labeled left and right. The back of my reciever has two plugs for the subwoofer out, but they're not labeled L and R. I believe these are for two separate subs. So I tried hooking up just a single RCA plug from one of the sub-outs on the reciever to one of the RCA ins on the sub. However this is not working. I also told my reviever that I am using a sub now, so what else could it be?

2. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Greg,
    If the inputs on your receiver are indeed for two different subs, you need to buy a "y" adapter. Plug the two male ends of the "y" adapter into your subs Left and Right inputs and then connect the single subwoofer cable to the female end of the "y" adapter. Finally, plug your sub cable into one of your sub inputs on the back of your receiver.
    -Dean-
    ------------------
    My HT Equipment
    "I've seen you and you are not cool."

3. Greg Rodgers

Greg Rodgers Auditioning

Thanks for the help. One more question: Do I need a special sub cable, 0r can I use just an RCA plug?

4. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Personally, I would go with a sub cable. I used a regular RCA cable and then I bought a mediocre Monster sub cable and it came with the "y" adapter.
    -Dean-

5. Greg Rodgers

Greg Rodgers Auditioning

I took your advice and bought a monster sub cable and it did in fact come with a "y" adapter. I'm sure that it's hooked up correctly but it still is not working. The front of the display on my reciever says that it does recognize that a sub is there, but when there is a loud signal going through the LFE channel, nothing comes out of the subwoofer. However, bass is still coming out of the bass module that is part of the Bose speaker system. Do I have to change some other setting?

6. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    Try setting all your speakers to small in the menu. This should push the bass to your sub. Also, you have a subwoofer volume level adjustment on that receiver, play with it too. As for the subwoofer out jacks on the receiver, they are for two subs, using a y-adapter on your sub is dependent on the instructions from the sub manufacturer. Do you have a test DVD such as AVIA or Video Essentials? Also a radio shack sound level meter could help on setting this up.
    ------------------
    The Bailey's Web Page and Home Theatre
    The Bailey's DVD Collection
    [Edited last by Lee Bailey on August 21, 2001 at 05:41 PM]