What's new

Subwoofer help (1 Viewer)

csanch87

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hi, my home theater has two subs. The one on the right began rattling a bit. It has since gotten worse. Wanted to know if anyone knows what the problem is and if it would be something that could be fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_3211.MOV
    35.5 MB

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yow.

It stopped rattling about half way through. Did you change something?

BTW, that sub sounds massively fried. As in, the voice coil of the driver is cooked. Hard to say without more info if there's anything to do about it, or if it's even worth fixing.

csanch87

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for answering. I think it turned off because the rattling unplugged one of the red/black wires in the back. Would it be ok to replace it with a sub of a difference brand with different wattage?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you want it to perform even reasonably well, you can't just replace it with any driver, even another sub driver. Sub design is more complicated than that. But, what brand and model is it?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just noticed, there's actually a spark from the back of the sub when it cuts out.

csanch87

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Sorry I didn’t mean replacing the sub driver with another brand’s. The home theater has two subwoofers. Each the same model as the link above. The one that seems fried is $1600 (and that’s a deal) so I was wondering if I could replace it with a less expensive subwoofer and still get the same experience. Do I need 1200 watts or was that overkill for the amp I have which I’ll post below

csanch87

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Amp below

Attachments

• 98304441-6A38-48E3-B804-9CD0F9084A4D.jpeg
    98304441-6A38-48E3-B804-9CD0F9084A4D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wow!! $1,600 for a 12” passive sub? That seems outrageous. I have no doubt you can do much better.

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
My Paradigm sub started rattling badly quite a while ago and I didn't have a good way to diagnose if the problem was in the sub itself or possibly the preamp in my receiver. I quit worrying about it when I got my 4K TV because my old receiver didn't switch HDMI and it became useless in the new environment except for a little used DVD player that used optical audio. With a new receiver, I'm back in the 5.1 business and the sub still rattles. I have lowered the level on both the sub and the receiver so it's less obnoxious, but I think the sub is seriously fried and I'm looking to replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhony page
Recent bookmarks