1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofer help please!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Angela Bryan, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Message #1 of 5 Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Angela Bryan

Angela Bryan Auditioning

Angela Bryan
    Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone has a simple suggestion to solve my problem...
    I have a panasonic subwoofer without a connector on the end (just two wires) and a sony amp which has (what looks like) an rca sub output. I have tried splicing an rca plug onto the end of the sub wires, but no signal is getting through.
    Any suggestions? Angela

2. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    The Panasonic sub is most likely passive (does not have an amp built in). What you call the Sony "amp" is most likely a receiver with amps for only the 5 (or 7) main speakers. The sub out is expecting a powered sub (one with its own amp and power supply). My guess is there is no way to use them together.

Is this sub from a Panny home theater in a box (all in one)? If so, are you using the other speakers with the Sony? This 'could' cause problems for your Sony. No way to know for sure without model numbers and specs.

3. Angela Bryan

Angela Bryan Auditioning

Angela Bryan
    Thanks David. The Sony is a TA-VE215 and seems to be called an 'integrated av amplifier'. I don't know what the original panasonic system was, but I have 4 speakers (SB-HF270, SB-HS270 x2, SB-HC-270 and the sub (SB-HW270). The sub has worked a bit when plugged into a mini system's speaker output, which suggests that it isn't broken.

Is there any mileage in plugging the sub into the one vacant surround speaker output?

4. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    Wow. I've never seen anything like that Sony. Very interesting. From what I could find it puts out 25 watts at 8 ohm.

I found the speakers and confirmed that you do have a passive sub. There is no way to use it with the Sony without adding an external amp.

Also, as I suspected, the speakers are 3 ohm. This could damage the Sony and since it is so old, I'm going to bet there's no protection built in.

5. Angela Bryan

Angela Bryan Auditioning

Angela Bryan
    Ah okay. Thanks for your help.