What's new

Subwoofer help please! (1 Viewer)

mick w

Auditioning
I purchased a slightly used (floor model) Philips (MX1015) Home Theater system (DVD & A/V receiver) on Monday. On Monday evening everything worked great but last night (for the sake of space), I decided to rearrange my components and moved them to different shelves. After working fine for about 10-15 minutes, the subwoofer started emitting a steady loud signal. When I adjusted the position of the receiver (or entire component cabinent) ever so slightly, the subwoofer functioned properly again. Ten to fifteen minutes later it happened again and repeatedly throughout the evening. The problem happens while in any mode (DVD, TV, etc.). Finally I gave up and turned the sub off. Could this just be a cable problem? I am using an old (cheapo) subwoofer cable. I would certainly appreciate any advice as everything else is working great. Thanks so much.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like something in your wireing is injecting noise by shorting, or causing a ground loop.

Carefully disconnect and re-connect all your cables making sure there are no shorts. Examine the interconnects. If the RCA plug on any of the cables looks loose/tilted, this could be your problem.

Any long audio cable will work for your subwoofer as a replacement cable.

mick w

Auditioning
It turned out to be a cable problem. I slapped a monster cable on and everything is cool. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks