Subwoofer head ache

Real Name
john
I quite a Newbie when it comes to the HT experience. I have written a few threads and gotten a lot of great responses. I have completed the build on my HT room and need to put some new toys in there to play with. I thought I had the subwoofer issue figured out a month ago but the wife has started putting furnishing that I hadn't planned on an things have changed.
I originally was going to install the SVS PB12-plus/2 but no longer have the room for the beast of all beasts.
I started to look at the EV SB760 then changed my mind to two of the EVID12.1P. Both would probably be nice, loud and move a bunch of air but wouldn't get down to the depths to knock the fillings out of your teeth.
The room I'm filling with both music and Movies is not quite 3600cf.
I'm now thinking of getting two of the SVS SB12plus to sit next to my B&W 704's. Will this give me the same affect as the PB12-plus/2. Or would going with the New HSU VTF-3HO be better.
Any comments and ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
With the same woofer, you're wondering if 1 sealed woofer (SB12plus) will be equal to 2 ported woofers (PB-12plus/2)? The answer is a resounding NO! You'd probably need 6 of the SB12plus's to match the PB-12plus/2 to get the same output in the lowest octave.

Geoff Gunnell

Stunt Coordinator
John, if you go to the Hsu web page, and go to the forum, read the thread titled something like "VTF-3HO finally arrives" -- but remember to check out the dimensions and allow for the port turn up in back if you get the Turbo option -- this is not a mini sub either...

Real Name
john
I've been looking at SVS web site as I've read your suggestions. Checking out the cylinders and see how they would fit.
Is there a problem if you lay these things down on the floor? Will it take any thing away from there performance?

Or if I stood them up in opposing corners on either side of the screen would it be hindering at all with me having my B&W 704's standing in front ot them?

The reason for these questions is:
The wall where the screen will come down is 12'8" of which the screen will be 9' wide. Floor to ceiling is 7' and once the screen is down that leaves only
18" at the bottom. I'll be putting my B&W HTM-7 right in the middle of the screen just up off of the floor.
Now I can put the a cylinder in either corner with the speakers just infront of them or lay them on the floor in between the center channel and the front speakers?
And if I go with two cylinders I would be looking at 16-46 PC Plus, because that will be pushing just beyond my wifes limits.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Dual 16-46's in your front corners will probably work really well. You'll need to spend some extra time (and do some extra research) to get them dialed in just right. I would highly recommend some sort of equalizer (like the BFD) to help you get these setup correctly in your room.

Real Name
john
John and Seth,
Thanks for all your great help. I spoke with Eric over at SVS and I have a ( B/stock) PB12plus/2 on order. It should be here wednesday.
Talking with Eric we decided it was still best to go with this model. I will be taking the bass plate off and laying on its side with the 12's showing forward.

Can't wait till it gets here. Then again, I can't wait till I get it into the basement. Again thanks

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conradfan