Subwoofer grills

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Bray, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

I am approaching completion of the 15.2 cube and am stuck on the grills. My plan for a wire mesh is not working out, but I still want some protection from the little dissasemblers. I could easily integrate some 'waffle' style grills, but wonder if they have any impact on the sound. I have heard of comb filtering effects up in the higher frequencies, but is there any effect on the sound in a pure bass application, i.e. < 80hz?

Has anyone used these in a high output sub?

Thanks for any input!

Vince

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Not related but.... does anyone know where I can order those circular grills to cover the top port on a sonosub?

Thanks,

3. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

What size do you need? Adire has a 8-inch, a 12-inch, and a 15-inch. I'm sure there's others out there but this is the first one that came up for me.

4. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

Vince -

I am building my own version of the 15.6 and have the same concerns about pint size demolitioon teams.

My plan was as follows:

On the mountinng points for the drivers and PR's at 12 o'clock, 3, 6 and 9, I was going to use a length of threaded rod rather than a screw. This rod would come out past the driver about 1.75". A nut on the rod would secure the driver at these points. Then a standoff tube of about 1.5" would slide over each of the threaded rods. Then a piece of perforated steel would slide onto the threaded rods and be secured by another set of nuts. I was looking at some perf steel with holes about 1/4", with a % open area of about 65%. The edges would be folded back over so they would not be sharp.

My reasons for this plan are so that in the future, when the kid can be trusted not to destroy the drivers, the grills go away, threaded rods get replaced by screws, and no wood repair ot be done.

BB

5. Vince Bray

6. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

PartsExpress.com has grills. I purchased two 12-inchers to cover the top-mounted 8-inch ports of my two sonotube subs. They look very nice.

7. Vince Bray

After more thought, I may just use burlap as the grill with no metal. Playing with the waffle grill I've got I noticed that it rings some even when strapped down. Maybe two layers of burlap would be tough enough to protect the drivers if it was stretched tight. I am thinking that one layer could be put on with the weave on the diagonal, and the top layer with the weave straight, to get more strength. Thoughts?

Vince