What's new

Subwoofer grills (1 Viewer)

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
I am approaching completion of the 15.2 cube and am stuck on the grills. My plan for a wire mesh is not working out, but I still want some protection from the little dissasemblers. I could easily integrate some 'waffle' style grills, but wonder if they have any impact on the sound. I have heard of comb filtering effects up in the higher frequencies, but is there any effect on the sound in a pure bass application, i.e. < 80hz?

Has anyone used these in a high output sub?

Thanks for any input!

Vince

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Not related but.... does anyone know where I can order those circular grills to cover the top port on a sonosub?

Thanks,

Brandon B

Second Unit
Vince -

I am building my own version of the 15.6 and have the same concerns about pint size demolitioon teams.

My plan was as follows:

On the mountinng points for the drivers and PR's at 12 o'clock, 3, 6 and 9, I was going to use a length of threaded rod rather than a screw. This rod would come out past the driver about 1.75". A nut on the rod would secure the driver at these points. Then a standoff tube of about 1.5" would slide over each of the threaded rods. Then a piece of perforated steel would slide onto the threaded rods and be secured by another set of nuts. I was looking at some perf steel with holes about 1/4", with a % open area of about 65%. The edges would be folded back over so they would not be sharp.

My reasons for this plan are so that in the future, when the kid can be trusted not to destroy the drivers, the grills go away, threaded rods get replaced by screws, and no wood repair ot be done.

BB

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
My reasons for this plan are so that in the future, when the kid can be trusted not to destroy the drivers, the grills go away, threaded rods get replaced by screws, and no wood repair ot be done.
That's a good idea. I kinda want grills permanently just because the driver is at the kicking height and I will have to kill someone if they boot it by accident. My lawyer has advised me that it is bad to kill visitors, so grills all 'round! My 14 month boy thinks it's hilarious to mash the plastic dust cones on my audax HT mains, arghhh, but I must say they are taking it well :)
Vince

Scott Page

Stunt Coordinator
PartsExpress.com has grills. I purchased two 12-inchers to cover the top-mounted 8-inch ports of my two sonotube subs. They look very nice.

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
After more thought, I may just use burlap as the grill with no metal. Playing with the waffle grill I've got I noticed that it rings some even when strapped down. Maybe two layers of burlap would be tough enough to protect the drivers if it was stretched tight. I am thinking that one layer could be put on with the weave on the diagonal, and the top layer with the weave straight, to get more strength. Thoughts?

Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks