Subwoofer goes to standby when playing music...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by CoreyAC, Sep 28, 2006.

1. CoreyAC

CoreyAC Stunt Coordinator

i have the subwoofer volume control about at about 75% and it seems like when i play music on my Yamaha at 0db's it will cut off after about a half hour to 45 min of play time...

i am guessing it's an over heating issue as if i cut it off for a few min it will come back...

the subwoofer is an infinity ps-12...

is there anyway to fix this?

2. CoreyAC

ummm...i see someone a few post down has the same issue lol...i'll um just read his post now [​IMG]

3. CoreyAC

actually his issue is slightly different than mine...mine will actually go into standby mode and the red light flickers every time a signal is sent to the driver...

i am guessing it's from the issue with amp over heating...but the room is kind of big and open so maybe it just isn't enough sub? i mean it's a big sub...my brother has a velodyne 12" which probably has a little better power but this Infinity that i have has a 300 watt amp!

4. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I don't know much about those subs, but 75% seems a little high to me. Have you calibrated it with Avia or something like that?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The Infinity has a 300w PEAK amp, which means more like 100W RMS. The issue most likely is you may have the sub's INPUT level too low in the receiver's speaker setup, and turning up the gain control on the sub will not fix this. There is nothing wrong with having the sub at 75%, though that would tend to indicate that it isn't enough sub.

If the sub has a stereo or dual line level input, use a Y adapter to increase the voltage at the amp OR, simply try increasing the receiver's output via the speaker level settings and adjust the sub down accordingly to achieve the correct level.

6. CoreyAC

OKAY THAT SOUNDS LIKE WHAT I NEED!! i just need to figure this receiver out...

the sub does have the dual line input but it says R OR L and the subwoofer cable i have is only one line on each end...maybe a better cable would help? i didn't get the 50-60 dollar Monster cable instead went with the 25 dollar "other" brand...

i have not done any settings on the receiver yet...the receiver is a YAMAHA HTR-5840...

7. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I would advise against getting the Monster cable, pure snake oil. All you need is the Y-adapter which may cost you less than ten dollars. I would get Acoustic research, the blueish teal ones, they aren't expensive but have decent build quality. I have yet to have an Acoustic Research cable foul up on me. Be sure you get a dual male to single female y-adapter. Connect the dual male to the sub and the female to the existing sub cable and that should do you fine.

8. CoreyAC

okay so just to clarify i would keep the sub cable i have and use the "double" inputs to connect?

9. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Yes, but you don't need to buy another sub cable, certainly not one as expensive as Monster Cable. Just get a y-adapter that looks like this.
    [​IMG]
    Looking at the picture, connect your sub cable that you already have to the left end, and connect the other two male connectors to the subwoofer itself.

10. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

definitely try the above y connector, but I do think the 75% is pretty high

I usually try to run amps (car or HT) at under 50% most of the time

11. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

It was asked, but not answered: have you calibrated this system with a SPL meter and a disk like Avia?

-Robb

12. CoreyAC

no i have not and i am new could you give me a little information on this process?

13. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

CoreyAC,

The short version is that you use a sound pressure level meter and test tones to match the volume level of all your speakers (subwoofer included) to each other. It's pertinent here because, at 75% on the gain, and the room is large, and the sub starts working again after resting, you could be over-driving it by having it much louder than your other speakers. If you set the volume levels by ear, that is quite likely. The most common SPL meter is the analog version from Radio Shack. Your receiver will have test tones, but the tones are less trustworthy than the ones on Avia.

Of course, it could be just that you're not giving the sub enough signal to "stay awake," and the y-splitter suggestion and raising the signal from the amp (and lowering the gain accordingly) could also fix the problem.

Either way, calibrating is highly recommended -- your system will sound better than ever.

-Robb